Hallo from Texas

For New Members. Tell us about yourself.
Tilting@windmills

Hallo from Texas

Post by Tilting@windmills »

Looking to recondition an Aermotor x602 on family property. It has been there for close to 100yrs. It was built over a hand dug well (1860’s?). It still spins when I release the brake, but I know it hasn’t had maintenance in probably more than 30yrs. The wood section of the pump rod is gone and the rod tied up for now. I am sure I will have many questions, but have already gotten some answers here. JT
55AF7671-C2AC-421C-9E8F-0201A7111C9E.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kenneth

Re: Hallo from Texas

Post by Kenneth »

JT, welcome to the forum. You have come to the right place. There are plenty of members here that can answer all of your questions.

Kenneth
windybob

Post by windybob »

X 602...That would be 6 foot across the wheel ( fan) if you didn't know. 602, earlier mmodel, bearings are babbitt, poured in place in the case.

What are you wanting to do? Recondition? Ok, do you have the means to take the mill off the tower, or to take the tower down with the mill on it? In order to re-work the head, it does need to come off the tower, one way or the other. Any parts you want are available. Are there any other folks here on the site close to you?
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Tilting@windmills

Thanks Kenneth!

Windybob, thanks for taking the time to post. I guess what I am trying to do is determine the condition before putting it back in operation. I don’t want to cause further damage if it needs repair. As far as removing it, that was going to be my first question. I know it’s fairly heavy and awkward. Would I actually need a crane? I could possibly lower the tower but there is a lot in the way (tank house, house, trees). I think there are a few members around me - central TX
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

There's a guy I know in Texas who works on windmills he's a great guy he might be able to help you his name is Steve Adams give him a call at 682-500-2280.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Also Tray is close to you in Boerne just down the road , been in the windmill business a long time .
still looking for his direct contact info . as soon as I find it i will post .
Mike B
New Braunfels TX
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

People have used the bucket lifts you can rent to take heads off towers before. It would be best to take the vane. wheel sections and arms off before you attempt to set it down.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

John T . Trey Haack is in Spring Branch , been in windmill business a good while .
830-885-4858
or cell # 210-885-4858
sbwws@gvtc.com
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

BTW , 3 legged Aeromotor towers are the best !
Tilting@windmills

Thanks Dan, Wayne, and Mike

Thanks for the resources and the ideas for removing it. I am going to look into a bucket rental to get it off there and see what it needs.