Redirecting excess water back into the well

......when you need to get in the weeds.
Ron Stauffer

Re: Redirecting excess water back into the well

Post by Ron Stauffer »

Some states have regs on introducing water back in to a well after it is out. You can also get siphon action on a line and drain water from what you wouldnt think you could. When a mill is not fully opened, it is unbalanced and puts additional wear and force on the mast pipe when operating. Easiest would be to put an overflow on the tank. The tank water will stay better too. Here in the desert southwest, it shouldnt be hard to find a use for excess water. I am sure Lake Mead or Lake Powell would take the excess...

Ron Stauffer
Montrose CO
Mike

Post by Mike »

Agree Ron!!! For now that's what we are doing, just letting it overflow. It's honestly not that much because as mentioned I've got the pitman arms on the low flow setting and we're not in a particularly windy area. And I like the idea of keeping the trough water better for the cows. Thanks!
Love the Montrose CO area!
Ron Stauffer

Post by Ron Stauffer »

Mike
I fill a 2500 gallon tank for the yard and garden from on top. There is an overflow down several inches that dumps into the main supply line after the bottom tank supply valve. I open the bottom valve when watering and pull out about a 1000 gallon. When done I close it and once the tank refills the water gravity feeds out the over flow on drip hoses for the lawn.

I am at 7500', 12 miles out of town and there have been days it is bumping close 90 so it takes a good bit of water. Running a 10' long stroke 2.75" cylinder at 147' and it takes all the water it produces.

I get through your area for WA and ID customers. Be that way next week for Glacier NP for a week off.

Ron
Merlinn

Post by Merlinn »

Wow! A 10’ stroke! Must be one helluva big windmill!
“What we’ve got here, is, failure to communicate “
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

: Merlin ! LOL
Ron Stauffer

Post by Ron Stauffer »

While I was only trying to save Paul storage space, I guess punctuation does matter even in windmills. It should read "Running a 10', long stroke, 2.75" cylinder at 147' .

These are examples of punctuation that changes context even more:

https://digitalsynopsis.com/tools/punct ... les-usage/
Merlinn

Post by Merlinn »

Yeah, I am a “Grammar Nazi”. You guys better watch yer P’s and Q’s!
“What we’ve got here, is, failure to communicate “
Mike

Post by Mike »

Wow, Ron, that sounds like a really cool system! And a really fun trip coming up. Stop and say Hi anytime! :-) We are going to Glacier NP in three weeks. Never been there - looking forward to it.
Thanks for the info.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Mike , yes you need to see and experence Glacer NP before ALL the glaciers dissapear . most are already gone . lots of bears and moose in that park .
and , i did not know the northern section of the Park is in Canada , joint custidy . When we visited I asked why 2 flags ? 2 countries .
Who knew !
LoTec

Post by LoTec »

Wayne wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:54 pm Simple is always better I've found.
“Throttling down” an Aermotor by furling it half way (so the wheel and tail are at 45°) may seem like a simple way to regulate it, and I am sure a lot of people have gotten away with this for years, but there is a risk involved.

An Aermotor mill is designed to be self-governing. The way this works is: the wind is exerting a horizontal thrust against the whole windmill, but since the wheel has the most surface area, the thrust is mainly focussed on the wheel shaft. The bearings for the wheel shaft are offset a couple inches from the mast pipe (the vertical pivot point). This offset thrust is trying to turn the wheel around the pivot point.

What keeps the wheel facing the wind is the tail vane acting as as downwind “rudder”, plus the tension on the governor spring. When the offset thrust of the wind becomes greater than that tension, the wheel folds over to the side, reducing the efficiency of the wind’s thrust, and thus regulating the mill to around 100 rpm. At maximum governing, the wheel is parallel to the tail. When the wind speed diminishes, the wheel opens back up into the 90° to the tail position.

In high gusty winds, the governing action may be forcing the wheel to close and open, close and open, rapidly and repeatedly. At each of these close-and-open cycles, the buffer device (that doohickey on the tail with the fat compression spring) slams against the gearbox, and the compression spring acts as a shock absorber.

When you fasten down the furl lever so the mill is in the 45° position, and there are strong, variable wind gusts, the wheel is still governing; it will move into the fully furled position, and the buffer device will hit on the gearbox, absorbing the shock. But when the gust dies down, and the wheel opens back up, the buffer can’t reach the gearbox. All the impact of the governor spring jerking the mill back open is now being exerted on the spot where the tailbone rests against the 585 tailbone casting lever. In rare instances, these repeated impacts can bend the tailbone or break the 585 lever, the 528 furl rod or the 612 furl ring.