A602 windmill brake collar

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
CTXmiller

Re: A602 windmill brake collar

Post by CTXmiller »

Both arms are the same length? No chance the mast pipe is bent?

Any chance this is bent(not the cast piece)?
5DD9F4EE-6EB2-4C08-8D73-D64CB8987E99.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Your idea might work Paul that's putting pressure on both rods
Gibsonst

Post by Gibsonst »

Thanks guys for your comments. I’m pretty sure that the mast pipe isn’t bent. I’ve replaced the old one with this new one that I ordered on eBay. I’m going to install the tail bone when it quits raining and hopefully that will fix the problem (but I’m not complaining because it’s been hot and dry here for a long time)
Ron Stauffer

Post by Ron Stauffer »

There is not a good side view of the furl lever but someone has "reworked" as those are not original rivets. The top part of the furl lever (lower furl ring) has an offset. If someone put it back together wrong, that can be the issue. Refer to the pics on how the wide part of the offset goes on the lever side

furl1.jpg
furl2.jpg

Other things to consider:
The 613 (upper furl ring) has a broken piece where the furl arm pivots. Catching?
Paint on parts that rotate or move is not a lubricant
The long strap arms like to drag on the sides of the stub angles. You can tweak them out slightly with a pry bar. What tweaks is the ends of the lever

Don't forget to put in the 4 long lace bolts between the tower clamp and mast base bolts.

Ron Stauffer
Montrose CO
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rockingjl

Post by rockingjl »

Check this area where the flat lift arm fits on to the cast piece, I have found them to bind or not lift the collar straight when it moves up the master pipe.
Gibsonst

Post by Gibsonst »

I installed the tailbone and adjusted the lever angles on the tower and it works but not real well. It’s still tight on one side but I can at least make it go up. The problem now is that it sticks and doesn’t want to fall back down when the brake is turned off and I have pull it down which is going to be difficult 30 ft in the air. Any adjustment suggestions?
Windcatcher530 Dan

Have one of the furl rods been replaced? Are they equal in length. Just a thought.
Gibsonst

Post by Gibsonst »

Thanks and I’ll check. I haven’t replaced one and measured so they are the same length. Maybe I should bend one a little on the side that’s dragging so it pulls more. What do you think?
Gibsonst

Post by Gibsonst »

Never mind. That won’t work because it’s the collar that’s dragging not the feruling ring
Windcatcher530 Dan

Make sure where these two arms hook to the collar aren't tight. They should swivel slightly