Imperial

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
Peter vk

Imperial

Post by Peter vk »

A fellow dropped this mill off today, It's an 8 foot Goold Shapley & Muir Imperial. She is pretty rough though.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mtblah

Re: Imperial

Post by mtblah »

You proformed a miracle on the last one , the geared loop ! you now have the experience , talent , machines ,,,,,
windybob

Post by windybob »

Isn't that the windmill that beat out all the others, including American made, in the contest in England back around 1900?
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Peter vk

Post by Peter vk »

windybob wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:59 am Isn't that the windmill that beat out all the others, including American made, in the contest in England back around 1900?
Yes this is the one, they probably pumped a lot of water but I think they wore out pretty quick. If it's off by one tooth it will bind up and self destruct, that's why the gear is busted in half like that.
Peter vk

Post by Peter vk »

mtblah wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:44 am You proformed a miracle on the last one , the geared loop ! you now have the experience , talent , machines ,,,,,
The last one was too much work, I don't really want to do that again, maybe if I find another one I can make one with the two.
Here's a video of how it works.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

A lot of moving parts and a ton of steel probably one of the most expensive windmills at that time.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

It works like the oil field pump jack I saw in Portland last year. Makes you ask the question why go to all that expense when others were doing it in a simple cheap fashion. Same as the gas engine world. All you are wanting to do is spin a belt pulley.
Ron Stauffer

Post by Ron Stauffer »

Peter
I remember when you had to go out and look for this obscure stuff and now people are bringing it to you.,, You could start leaving your truck bed empty and holding out your hand for when windmill stuff starts falling out of the sky...

You have plans for that single rivet D fan? I have a hard time keeping Ds around here. I have an incomplete D602 in the yard that would go with it.

I am thinking of travel plans again since fuel is cheap

Ron
Peter vk

Post by Peter vk »

Hi Ron, I got the Imperial on trade for some anchor feet that I made for the guy's Beatty. Windmills don't fall out of the sky here but I've been pretty lucky the last couple of years and found some great windmills.
I'm not sure yet what I'm doing with that wheel, it's not perfect and needs some work. I also have an extra single rivet D wheel section that I picked up a few years ago, what would you offer for the 7 sections? I can get better pics if you like. I also have a 12' vane, so was thinking maybe I can find the rest and put a larger windmill outside. All the bigger power mills that I have are going in the barn, I tore out more hayloft and made more room.
Peter
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Does this mean in the future you could host the Internation Windmill Meet in Chesterville ? You have a great collection and space .
Something to ponder .