A602 and old homestead

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about windmills, in most cases.
CTXmiller

A602 and old homestead

Post by CTXmiller »

I picked up an A602 on a 27’ tower today. I picked it for the tower. The tower is in good shape and the fan should be repairable as the tower had fallen in a storm. The gearbox is not repairable. Nothing special on the windmill, but the old homestead was neat.

The main structure was part rock which was relayed as one room. Behind the old home was an entirely rock structure that had crumbed. The owner of the property believed the structures dated between 1860-1880. I wouldn’t argue with that date assertion. I dated the A602 for the property owner to be somewhere between 1928-1932+/- as it had side asses plugs and Ubolts. If it had a date on the hoop or shaft at the hub, I couldn’t read it.

Between the two structures was a several hundred year old oak tree that was dead. There was a hand dug well, which had been filled in and was about 15’ from where the A602 stood over a separate well with a Dempster pump below. More photos to follow
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CTXmiller

Re: A602 and old homestead

Post by CTXmiller »

A few more photos to follow. Sorry for the orientation of the photos
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

Rock structure that crumbled in last photo
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

The property owner also handed me this spring, which could or could not be windmill related.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Thanks for the pics Michael.Up here in NY there are quite a few stone house's, churches, buildings, etc. Some dating back to the 1700 hundreds.One of the coolest things i saw was a grain silo laid up from top to bottom with lime stones.
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

Dan

That would be neat to see. If you have a photo, consider posting it.

There aren’t any stone structures that I see in central Texas. I often see houses a 100+ yrs old, but none stone or mostly loose stone.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Wonder where the stone that size was quaried ? Lots of stone in Jarrell & Florence are now , but where a hundred years ago ?
If those stones could talk .
Could they at least be used for a foundation , ect
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

That would sure be a good project for a Historical Society to save that building. What town is it close to?
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

It is very rural, closest to Cransfills Gap, which is near Clifton, TX. It is part of the back of the current homeowner’s 200 acres.
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Great pictures.