Aerator A702 Tailbone Housing Wear

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
Pb57

Aerator A702 Tailbone Housing Wear

Post by Pb57 »

CA8A0307-1AA0-486D-AC9E-11042C552B03.jpeg
Hello folks, This is my second post on here in reference to rebuilding my aermotor a702 windmill. The casting on the main casing that the tailbone pin goes through is egg shaped (no surprise after all these years). I am planning on boring it true and bushing it back into specs.

My questions are:
#1- what material would be best for bushing material, brass, steel etc?
#2- how much clearance would you recommend for the busing/pin? I was thinking maybe 3 thousands
#3-how critical is it for the 2 casting holes to be perfectly vertical. its going to be difficult to get it fixtured on the mill as there is not much for machined surfaces to reference from. I'm assuming it has to be pretty accurate for the tail and furling mechanism to work properly.
#4-when it comes time for me to rebuild the furling mechanism is it best to have a bit of play in all the operating points? right now there is an abundance of slop.
I have attached a picture of the egg shaped tailbone pin holes for reference.
thanks you all for this great forum and I am looking forward to hearing from you all.
Paul
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Re: Aerator A702 Tailbone Housing Wear

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Okay Paul I'll give you my opinion. 1-steel, 2-as long as the pin moves freely and doesn't bind, 3-if the holes are off a little it's fine as long as a little isn't noticable. 4-the furling system can have some slop as long as pulls the tail over and applies the brake to stop the wheel.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Paul , take look back at Sept 26th , 2020 in this section , under 702 bushings .
My machinist line bored & made brass bushings in my A702 , looks great , just enough clearence for tail pin to rotate freely ,
a little grease goes a long way .
Pb57

Post by Pb57 »

mtbiah I just checked it out and like the process. thanks Paul
Pb57

Post by Pb57 »

thanks wind catcher