Progress on the A702 Tailbone Bushings w/pics

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
Pb57

Progress on the A702 Tailbone Bushings w/pics

Post by Pb57 »

B64569D6-3DD7-4748-BD99-F2A10536225F.jpeg
E4B3E745-4E43-4663-9D56-D42232C7BC23.jpeg
Made some progress on the Aermotor A702 gearbox tailbone bushings. I set the gearbox up in the mill and bored the 2 holes concentric then made 2 bushings on the lathe. I decided on using steel bushings. I will make a new tailbone pin soon.
I hope you folks don't mind me documenting the rebuilding process here.
Thanks Paul
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Re: Progress on the A702 Tailbone Bushings w/pics

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Paul very nice job.!!!
JBarker

Post by JBarker »

very nice job, keep us informed. do you have any of the pics set up in your mill? maybe explain your process a little more if able to help us all in the future. thanks

Jerry
Jerry Barker
Wills Point, Texas
214-893-2864
www.Farmhousewindmills.com
farmhousewindmills@hotmail.com
windybob

Post by windybob »

That looks really nice. One thing to remember. Most clearances on windmills more, rather than less. You don't want a little rust, or hot weather to swell and bind things, and cold also. Bearings are a litle different, but tailpins, and slides, and and pass-thru pins and items like these should be relatively loose.

Any machine that you don't need to blue the gears on, is worth a bit of play. It's not the Mona Lisa.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Pb57

Post by Pb57 »

I should have taken pics of the setup on the mill.I will in the future. It was nothing to write home about but I took it slow and it worked. The bottom of the gear box has a rectangle protrusion that I clamped in my vise. I have a Kurt Sidewinder vise as well that really comes in handy at times. I used this specialty vise to clamp onto the end of the nose on the gearbox. It was fairly rigid and worked. I centered it as best I could and made a single pass, boring both holes so they were concentric. Paul
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Great job , simple fix , good learning experience .
You may want to consider adding a grease zerk to each bearing for a really long term fix . a shot of grease every 5 years on the tail pin will make it last thru the next caretaker takes over ! :ugeek: