another one

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
mtblah

Re: another one

Post by mtblah »

Couldn't have done any of these windmills without the help of other windmillers , thank you Windy Bob , see his picture in the 2023 Windmill calendar , month of March , yah , he's got the stuff . And he's willing to share the knowledge also .
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Thanks guys for turning me onto e-bay , there was a gear for a different brand that will be a good replacement & it didnt cost $$$ , yes it will need a small bushing around the drive shaft but that is a simple fix .
Again , thanks guys !
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Getting close to finish on the Ideal Steel , worked a little on streightening the fan blades ,
Just wondering how much loss of power when the sail's are "drilled " with bullet holes ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

Wire brush and a little JB weld. JB weld dries close in color, unless it plans to be in a museum.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

I don't think those holes would effect anything Mike but I found out a couple of ball peen hammers and some galvanized paint works fairly good on bullet holes.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Yep!
kylen

Post by kylen »

Which of the gears is your new eBay gear? Those gears look to be the same pitch, however they are different pressure angles. One looks to be a 14.5 degree PA and the other the more modern 20 degree PA.

-Kyle
mtblah wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 5:47 pm Thanks guys for turning me onto e-bay , there was a gear for a different brand that will be a good replacement & it didnt cost $$$ , yes it will need a small bushing around the drive shaft but that is a simple fix .
Again , thanks guys !
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Kyle , the gear on the right is new - ish , it had a small chip on one tooth but it appeared to be unused .
the gear on the left is the origional worn , well worn drive gear , tips are sharp , not quite razor sharp but close .
The new gear meshed very well with the bull gear internal gear , rotates with no noise , i did lubricate before assembly
I had a bushing made for the new drive gear as the center hole was a larger diameter , key fits nice & snug .
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Kyle , i reread your thread , PA , pressure angle , pitch , at least you didnt use vocabulary like obtuse angle
OH , my head is hurting again :?
kylen

Post by kylen »

If the right one is your new one you should be ok. On a gear you need the pitch (the tooth size) to match and the pressure angle to match, if you don't have the same pitch and angle the gears won't mesh properly.

Congratulations on your repair!

-Kyle