Monitor L furling rods

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
joe herman

Monitor L furling rods

Post by joe herman »

I was putting my Monitor L together today. I found some furling rods that I
assumed would be for my mill. Upon installing the rods I could not get
the mill to furl fully. The rods I have measure 42 1/2 inches. Could they be for a Model M?
To my calculations a rod that would fully furl and unfurl should measure 40 1/2.
I am going to shorten another well worn rod to 40 1/2 and try it tomorrow
Thanks,
Joe
Terry

Re: Monitor L furling rods

Post by Terry »

Joe
I checked several of rods on the Monitor "L" and they are 42 1/2'' long.
There could be several thing that would cause this.
1- Spring hooked up wrong. The springs can be 180 degrees off.
2- The rods one hole off in the shipper spider.
There are several other things that could be the problem. I will need to think about this a little.
Keep us updated on this.
Terry
joe herman

Post by joe herman »

I can not figure out what went on. I even set up another worn out steering wheel, on another
hub I found at an auction along with a used wheel section, but no spring. Same result, rod too long.
I solved the problem by making the rods 40 1/2 and they work.
I thought I installed the wheel arms with the spring hook on the hub marked spring.
The geared furling pull out arms matched to the gear teeth on the steering wheel.
This was done whiles steering wheel was facing down about 15 inches from the ground. Went by feel.
Counter weight was not yet installed. Needed neighbor to help with that. Tractor loader not working..
I wonder if this situation ever happened to any one else?
I have done 5 Monitors and this has not happened.
I was under the gun trying to get the mill ready as the picker truck driver said he could fit
me in . Things don't always go smoothly when rushed.
This all started after I received the bearing kit from Dan on Wednesday afternoon and the picker wanted to do
the lift Friday morning. Job had to be cancelled til later this week. Good weather should hold.
joe herman

Post by joe herman »

The reason I did not have the mill assembly further advanced was due to the fact
I was waiting for the bearing kit from Dan . With delivery so slow these days. Took almost
three weeks for the parts to arrive. Called the picker guy thinking he would not be able to come
for some time. Surprised me
joe herman

Post by joe herman »

I crawled under the wheel this morning and checked the wheel spoke placement.
They are correct. Checked the pull out, thinking the little cable clamps had allowed
the cable to slip a bit. I used three on each end so that was not the problem.
The pull out arms with the gear teeth have to match the corresponding ones on
the spider or they will not work. The wheel sections rotate freely and there is no binding of
the rods when the wheel is furled or unfurled. Springs can pull in one direction only so they
rotate the spider to open the sails
All I know is that the 40 1/2 rods work as they are supposed to.
This is quite a puzzle that could only happen to me. Might have something to with my age.
Hope there is an explanation to what I did wrong.

Read next post.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

There is a positive side to this Joe, you have a one of a kind Monitor L windmill. Extremely Rare!!!!
joe herman

Post by joe herman »

Your right Dan,
A number of factors came into play. I went back to the temporary set up with the
pieces I got at an auction. Looks like on my mill I set up the furling arm teeth to
fully mesh with the spider's. This caused the spider to rotate further making the
distance to the wheel section shorter and rods seem too long. By changing the mesh
combination one tooth changes the movement by the two inches I had to shorten the rods.
All happened being in a hurry. As they say haste makes waste. End of story.
joe herman

Post by joe herman »

I have learned a lot from my mistakes. Just lucked out on my last Monitor projects.
Where I made the mistake was trying to install the rods when I had the mill furled
too far with the springs installed. Should have been installing them when mill unfurled.
I could not see my mistake while it was happening I jumped to the wrong conclusion thinking the rods were from a bigger mill.
I can now go ahead and line up my picker guy. He is an excellent operator.
Terry

Post by Terry »

Joe
Sometimes those old mill can be a head scratcher. Even after you just redid one just like it.
Glad you got it figured out.
Terry
windybob

Post by windybob »

I am always amazed at the progression of the windmill mechanical history. Seems it's somewhat reversed from most things. Most things get more complicated and effecient over time, but the early mills seem to me, to be much more complicated and over-engineered than all of the later models, which were more simple and effecient.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.