Steel Eclipse

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
Bryan S

Steel Eclipse

Post by Bryan S »

Really glad to see the new forum. Thanks for getting it rolling. Got locked out of the old one about 4 years ago when I forgot my password and couldn’t seem to get it reinstated. Missed the collective knowledge this group has to offer.

Thought I would give posting a picture a try. Haven’t done it in a while. Finished this one a couple of years ago.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CTXmiller

Re: Steel Eclipse

Post by CTXmiller »

Bryan

Very nice.
Bryan S

Post by Bryan S »

Thank you!
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

The Mill thinks it's better than you with it's fan pointed to the sky. I've got one on the list to go up!
windybob

Post by windybob »

Amazing how many of those they sold for only being in production for 10 years or less. I've got 4 or 5 in a pile.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Kansas Rust Buzzard

Post by Kansas Rust Buzzard »

Nice Mill Bryan! Windybob-you hoarder! LOL
Bryan S

Post by Bryan S »

A couple of other somewhat unique features on this mill besides the tilted wheel. The sails are slightly cupped lengthwise in addition to the standard roll side to side. For such a small case there is a lot going on inside. Upstroke takes 2 revolutions, downstroke 1 revolution. Hade it apart and back together - still not sure I get that....

Tilted wheel does a nice job keeping it out of the stub.
Kansas Rust Buzzard

Post by Kansas Rust Buzzard »

So this wheel is unique to this mill only? I have a couple FM Worm Gears and was wondering if it was the same.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

The way I understand it this windmill was made by Woodmanse for Fairbanks-Morse and that the wheel will fit the Woodmanse mills also. One and the same. A unique feature borh my mills have is the Aux Vane like the Original Eclipse. Somewhere down the way they decided to save money and stopped putting the Aux Vane on. The only thing unique about the wheel is it being tilted.
windybob

Post by windybob »

This was a Fairbanks mill. Not made by Woodmanse. The Woodmanse Eclipse came later. It was a Woodmanse mill with a different tail, named Eclipse because F/M stopped making mills, and customers still wanted them, so they contracted Woodmanse. The Woodmanse Eclipse also went by other names, but was pure Woodmanse thru and thru. The F/M Eclipse had the option of a side vane, I don't have one with a hole for it. The Woodmanse had no such thing, because it was a quarter-breed. The reason F/M stuck with the Eclipse name is because it was the first and most popular mill to put them on top. In other words, the name Eclipse was not just a name, it was an icon.

Wayne, the only thing about the mill in the picture that was unique, is that it's the only commercially successful worm gear mill to be marketed, and the wheel was tilted because of the mainshaft, and not the wheel.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.