Is this amount of noise normal?

......when you need to get in the weeds.
mattshup

Re: Is this amount of noise normal?

Post by mattshup »

Windcatcher530 Dan wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 7:51 pm Matt is there any babbitt in the cups of the pitman arms?
Yes, it looked fine too.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

The pitman arm should be snub or not sloppy on the gear.
mattshup

Post by mattshup »

Windcatcher530 Dan wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:10 pm The pitman arm should be snub or not sloppy on the gear.
It fit like a glove when I put it back on. No slop whatsoever. Tighter tolerance than I figured it would be to be honest.
mattshup

Post by mattshup »

Hearing back from Dakota Windmill again on this subject after replacing the gears, they now think that it is something wrong with my installation. Pump rod hitting somewhere on the mast pipe they claim. I will go back up and check it out.

Also for what it's worth, I sent them a picture of that worn pin. Even though selling me a "rebuilt mill with all new components inside", that worn pin was what they chose to put in when it was put back together. Not new at all. "new components" don't mean new components anymore I guess.

I don't know what to think at this point. Thank you everyone for your help and comments trying to figure this out with me.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Matt is the stem washer in place?
mattshup

Post by mattshup »

The one inside the bonnet on the top of the mast pipe? Or the one under the motor casing? Yes to both.
Windcatcher530 Dan

I watched the video again and don't believe the pump rod is hitting anything.There should be a " LEMON LAW" on windmills too apparently.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Sound like they are giving you the run around because they don't know the answer and are hoping someone on the forum or you come up with the answer.
deep water

Post by deep water »

Okay guys, I'm new here. But I can tell you this. I installed one of the Dakota a702 rebuilds back in 2017 to pump air for a catfish tank. You read that correctly, pump air. The machine overall(wheel, vain assembly, tower, mast, furl hardware and motor) all appeared to be quality. But I noticed the bull gears were original aermotor (noticeably worn), and the pinions were obviously newly cut. The motor in my case makes exactly the same sound and also has the same rough transfer of power to the rod. If you hold onto the rod, you can feel every tooth bite. I am no expert. But it is my opinion (and is worth what you paid for it) that the pitch/pressure angle of the new pinions in my particular example, and yours, are not cut right, thus the rough transfer. Mine has been running like this from day one, and has quieted down a bit over the last 5 years or so. It was the most noticeable with ATF, but a little softer with 10w.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Sounds like you are on to something.