F&W Star 37: question about brake rod routing and tightening

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
DennisT

F&W Star 37: question about brake rod routing and tightening

Post by DennisT »

Having a 10-foot F&W Star Zepher 37 assembled. The brake is operated by that cast "L" shaped pivot when the brake rod is pushed toward the brake. That rod has threads on one end and 2 or 3 inches in from threads is a fixed "shoulder," that contacts the brake pivot/arm where it goes through the arm. At the outside end of the threaded portion, rod is held in place with a single nut. Opposite end of rod slides through a hole in a cast "lug" that is part of the main motor housing and routes out toward the tail.
My questions are:
1. Were all 37's brake rods routed through that casting hole??????
2. Is the nut on the threaded end the only thing that keeps that rod from coming loose????
I would love to see a photograph of this set up done correctly. Anyone?
I'm 80 miles from my windmill and have no photo here today.
I've waited years to have a windmill on our place and I suppose I'm already over-protective and cautious with it........
Dennis in E WA state
Merlinn

Re: F&W Star 37: question about brake rod routing and tightening

Post by Merlinn »

Dennis, I know nothing about your windmill and hope your questions will be answered. Lotsa knowledgeable guys on here to help.
I have an Aermotor A702 and live in Stevens county up near Kettle Falls. Where in ADAMS county are you?
“What we’ve got here, is, failure to communicate “
DennisT

Post by DennisT »

I'm half way between Rizville and Odessa.
Merlinn

Post by Merlinn »

I moved from Sisters, Orygun and traveled the long route many times. Lots of windmills, towers and partial mills on the way. Never made it through Odessa.
“What we’ve got here, is, failure to communicate “
Kenneth

Post by Kenneth »

Dennis, I have a 2 Star 37's. One on a tower and one on a stand in the shop. I will try to get you a pic of the setup. The best I remember, that nut is the only thing that holds the brake rod in place. It can't come out unless the nut is removed, or something breaks. Will try to post a pic tomorrow.

Kenneth
DennisT

Post by DennisT »

Thanks, Kenneth. I think we're closing in on it, but photos that correct us or confirm us are always a good thing.
Kenneth

Post by Kenneth »

Dennis, this is my 37 brake assembly. The pivoting flat bar on the tail bone will push the rod when the mill is turned off thus applying the brake.
20221106_094028.jpg
Kenneth
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DennisT

Post by DennisT »

Thanks, Ken. I think now that will wrap things up for us.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Guys, the braking system on many older mills is not what it's cracked up to be. I need to look on my 37's to verify what I'm thinking. On the Stover's older mills, there is NO give and take on brake adjustments, if it's not perfect, the the brake arm gets broken. This appears to be a similar setup, as I see no spring anywhere to take up pressure if it's adjusted too tight. When I work on a old mill that has a situation like this, I install a heavy spring somewhere in the line, to take up extra pressure on the brake arm, or any other bendable or breakable linkage part. Think Dempster, where a stiff spring takes up extra force when the adjustment is a little tight. Monitor is similar. Most Stovers I have in the yard have broken arms due to poor design. Not positive if the F/W 37 is similar, but it appears to be.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Kenneth

Post by Kenneth »

I think there is supposed to be a spring between the shoulder on the rod and the L shaped pivot casting. Then the nut is tightened till there is tension on the spring. I will try to find a pic of it.

Kenneth