Axtel Model A rebuild

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
Centex Windmills

Axtel Model A rebuild

Post by Centex Windmills »

We had to pull down our Axtel A model earlier this year. It started leaking all the oil out, the furling system broke and the gearbox started leaning on the tower. Finally got around to starting the teardown this weekend and get it out of the weather.

We didn't rebuild this one but the biggest question is the tower cap, from the few pictures I've seen it's not a original axtel tower cap just not sure what it's from and retrofitted to work. Would love to find a original model A tower cap but know thats like a needle in a hay stack.

Hopefully going to have this one sorted by spring when the crane comes back to put 4 other mills up we have ready to go, fingers crossed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CTXmiller

Re: Axtel Model A rebuild

Post by CTXmiller »

The tower cap might be from a Fairbanks Morse. I can share photos of what my Axtell tower turntables look like, but they are different Axtell Ever Oiled models and bigger.

You mind sharing the SN and build year on your Axtell? I can’t read them on the plate. Thanks
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

Attached are photos of two Axtell turntables I had on my phone.

Both are similar to that of the Baker Monitor ball bearing turntables as FW Axtell also sold Baker Monitor windmills.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Centex Windmills

CTXmiller wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:30 pm The tower cap might be from a Fairbanks Morse. I can share photos of what my Axtell tower turntables look like, but they are different Axtell Ever Oiled models and bigger.

You mind sharing the SN and build year on your Axtell? I can’t read them on the plate. Thanks
Yes I'll make a note and grab the SN off the mill next time I'm at the ranch.

Thanks for the turntable pictures that helps to know it's not a axtel turntable, but something else and now to track down what it is and if all the parts are there because it sure seems to be missing something.
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

I think the turntable is from a Fairbanks Morse Steel. I saw a Fairbanks Morse one just like it on eBay, but no Axtell parts on eBay.
Centex Windmills

CTXmiller wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:34 pm I think the turntable is from a Fairbanks Morse Steel. I saw a Fairbanks Morse one just like it on eBay, but no Axtell parts on eBay.
I found the one your talking about your right looks identical, it's what it came with when it was pulled out of the woods which makes you wonder when it was switched and how long it ran with that combination. When it's up it just doesn't look right but if it works maybe I'll keep it that way.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Yes that is a early F.M. Tower Cap, pretty sure.
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

I looked through my Axtell literature and I don’t have anything on the model A. I recall in correspondence with T. Lindsay Baker that he relayed that he “never, not once in 40yrs ever saw an Axtell Ever Oiled parts diagram”…trying to paraphrase.

I wonder if a turntable for a Baker Monitor WC would be a more close fit, assuming the mast pipe is the same diameter.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Either that, or a Dempster turntable setup. I think on mine I used a Dempster. Next time I get down there, I'll take a look.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Centex Windmills

CTXmiller wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:30 pm The tower cap might be from a Fairbanks Morse. I can share photos of what my Axtell tower turntables look like, but they are different Axtell Ever Oiled models and bigger.

Here is the serial number plate.