Axtel Model A rebuild

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
CTXmiller

Re: Axtel Model A rebuild

Post by CTXmiller »

Brandon,

Thanks.

I was trying to figure out how Axtell serialized their Ever Oiled models.

I posted the below previously on another thread, but your SN seemingly fits into my theory.

My 1931 model B possesses SN: 603 and my 1939 model D possesses SN: 2908. Paul’s model C from 1939 with SN: 2885 was made fairly close in production to that of my D, just 22 made between Paul’s 12’ C and my D. Sort of makes Paul’s model C both a big brother and little brother to my D…that will mess with your mind.

Brandon - your 1932 (sort of looks like 1982, but 1982 isn’t possible) model A with SN 821, seems to match the continual serialization from year to year, regardless of model # with that of my 1931 model B.

So it appears Axtell SNs were applied to all Ever Oiled models (A, B, C & D) increasing each year and never resetting per calendar/fiscal year. Thanks.
Centex Windmills

Post by Centex Windmills »

Well got it home to the garage this weekend to try and get it back together before the crane comes this spring. The furel system broke initially, then it started leaning and leaking oil. Thought it might be something simple that came undone but not looking so simple. The mast pipe is completely shot and bent, but looking and feeling around it almost seems integrated into the casting so that is going to need further investigation as I can stick my finger into where the pulley goes and can't feel any separation lines. The part that broke on the furel is a brass part that connects to the pull out yoke.

Guess first order of business is figuring out if and or how to remove the mast pipe and get that machined then work on the brass piece
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Post by windybob »

If you are not a strict purist, you might change it over to a Dempster type pullout tube. Very reliable, and sturdy.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

Windy - If time permits, would you post a photo of your Dempster turntable on your Axtell.

Brandon - looking at an Axtell model C, I see pipe wrench marks on the mast pipe. Makes me think the mast pipe might screw in because you can’t access/see the mast pipe from within the gearbox. I’m not certain it screws it, merely passing on an observation that might apply to your A.
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

Centex Windmills wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 3:58 pm Well got it home to the garage this weekend to try and get it back together before the crane comes this spring. The furel system broke initially, then it started leaning and leaking oil. Thought it might be something simple that came undone but not looking so simple. The mast pipe is completely shot and bent, but looking and feeling around it almost seems integrated into the casting so that is going to need further investigation as I can stick my finger into where the pulley goes and can't feel any separation lines. The part that broke on the furel is a brass part that connects to the pull out yoke.

Guess first order of business is figuring out if and or how to remove the mast pipe and get that machined then work on the brass piece
This might help. I looked through my Axtell literature and this is the only model A literature I had, excluding the model A patent.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Centex Windmills

Post by Centex Windmills »

I was looking at that last night from my literature also. It looks like it goes deep up into the casing with windows for the pulleys. Guess I'll throw a pipe wrench on it and see what happens, gently of course.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

I've never worked on one of those mills but the diagram does appear to show a threaded mast pipe.
windybob

Post by windybob »

I will see what I can do getting a picture. I have done that with a few mills. Oh FYI I can tell you that the endplay between the bearings is set with the amount of gaskets used under the end plates.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Ok I did not install the Dempster turntable on my Axtell. I have done it for others though. Here is what I have. It appears to be the original tower cap, but I can't remember when i got the mill from Paul Cowley if it came with it, or I had one. Never the less, I tried to get a shot of the part number on the top of it, but it didn't turn out.

Axtell turntable.jpeg
Speaking of Axtell items, here's the pullout swivel, etc.

Axtell pullout 1.jpg
Axtell pullout 2.jpg
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

Looks good Windy. There a way to grease that turntable?

Thanks.