Axtel Model A rebuild

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
windybob

Re: Axtel Model A rebuild

Post by windybob »

I didn't see a zerk, but I didn't look for one. It's been a while since I restored it. I think the balls were 5/8. Guess I need to see. My memory is not what it used to be. ;)
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Centex Windmills

Post by Centex Windmills »

Windy that also helps me to see what a original axtel tower cap looks like and that's the part that broke on ours that started rebuild number two on it.

We're on day three of mast pipe removal. I can see a separation line but it's a weird mast pipe and still not sure how it comes out, seems to slide in then slide into a sleeve based on the illustration and what I can see. I can feel a round pin inside but it's not visible from the outside but in the oil pump cavity. So guess next step is pull the guts out and see if I can find the internal pin or bolt.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Remind me of just why you are taking it out.....Is it the cut line around the top? You can weld it up. I don't recall taking mine out. Some neckpipes are layed in the mold and cast iron poured around it. Hambone Monitors are good examples of that.

Your pullout is a good reason why the slot in the neckpipe was a bad idea. It eventually cuts off the swivel.
Centex Windmills

The mast pipe is severely bent, it's a long story but we didn't restore or put this one together and we were always told it's fine and a few years ago didn't know any better. It ended up not being fine.

If it wasn't bent I would just weld up the worn parts and machine them back down.

The other option is to cut the mast pipe weld a new mast pipe and then it just gets put on a ground level display stand and find another mill to put on the tower.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Thanks. I see it now.
Centex Windmills

windybob wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:31 am Thanks. I see it now.
Windy have you ever spliced a mast pipe together up by the casting before with any success. I've seen and heard of splicing lower but haven't ever done a splice so far up on the pipe.
windybob

Post by windybob »

I'm sure I have, just don't remember which one. I would certainly do it again. Considering what's inside that need to move, find a pipe or tube that goes into the stub a couple inches, and weld it or braze it in. Then slip the new neckpipe over the stub, and weld or braze all of it together. the reinforcement pipe or tube should fit snug.

Or if you have room in the tower hardware, have a new neckpipe slit and swedged out on 3 or 4 sides up 3 or 4 inches and weld it at the slits to the stub. The idea is not to butt-weld one pipe to another, but to add a reinforcement inside or outside.
Centex Windmills

Well no turning back now. Got the old mast pipe cut and will machine and fabricate a new one with a inner stub, and weld it all back together.

I also pulled the main gears out to check the "new bearings", they are not so new but that's ok they are easy enough to put new ones in.

Off to the machine shop we go.
JBarker

Post by JBarker »

what size wheel is this Axtell? Thanks
Jerry Barker
Wills Point, Texas
214-893-2864
www.Farmhousewindmills.com
farmhousewindmills@hotmail.com
Centex Windmills

JBarker wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:05 am what size wheel is this Axtell? Thanks
It's a 9 footer, the A model had weird sizes, a 7,9 and I think 11.