Workstands

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about things in general, in most cases.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Re: Workstands

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Really love that Eli Mill you have Burt. I was recently informed there's a Aermoter power mill out in Western NY still on the tower. Hoping to get a look at it this summer.
hwy8

Post by hwy8 »

Clean floors??? I'm still pretty careful which way I point my camera in the workshop!
WHOOPS!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hwy8

Post by hwy8 »

Dan, that ELI is a really early one with the small diameter wheel, the earliest oil box, and the lettering cast into the frame . It's rare enough that it's going to always live in my office. (It should look great next to the model Tim Cook made) One day soon, I'll have to show the one I'm fixing up for the tower in the back yard.
DennisT

Post by DennisT »

Burt and others......thank you. This gives me a refresher on how to think out of the box I often find myself in. Come to think of it, I have a sandblasted 20-inch truck rim from a 1 1/2 ton truck that was found defective. I guess I could get the kids to weld in a 2 1/2 inch pipe section I also have and use that. My only and biggest concern is that a lot of weight of mills is in the, "snout," that sticks out off center. It's accidental, "tip over," that worries me. Yet, most of you have stands that are not a wide-spread floor footprint, and evidently they work fine without falling over and breaking a windmill case.
Hmmmm .
windybob

Post by windybob »

Here's what I usually make. Can put rollers on it too. It could be bolted instead of welded.

windmill stand.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Windy , i like your design better than mine , even appears to have a Dempster top on it .
this is my working stand
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

I’m always looking for some improvement to my work stands/stubs. Mine are trip hazards, but still a necessity that can be improved. I like seeing others. I once accidentally bumped a gearbox with the zero turn mower canopy while it was on a stub without any footing support for that stub. That Baker Monitor came down and cracked on the concrete, but welded up fine. Lesson learned.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

I dont like " lessons learned " ! call it making extra unnessecary work ,, but you do get to test your skills .
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Windy, what are the overall dimension of your square base on your stand?
Gregg
windybob

Post by windybob »

probly 30 or 32. If it gets much larger, it's easier to trip over. Much smaller, and the mill gets out of balance. Whatever you're comfortable with. I get nervous when they are outside, so I stake them down sometimes. if I measure and they are much different, I'll let you know.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.