My 14' Power Aermotor

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
kylen

Re: My 14' Power Aermotor

Post by kylen »

How are you planning on cutting the teeth on your bevel gears? Hobbing or using involute cutters on a straight cut gear is not a huge deal, bevel gears can be a whole other animal.

Here are a couple photos of a bevel gear that we did a few years back. It was just done as a raw casting (with good surface finish) and a bit of clean up.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Love that ole steam tractor Kyle she's a keeper.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Kyle , what is the LARGE engine hidding behind the Far-Mor steam engine ?
hwy8

Post by hwy8 »

How are you planning on cutting the teeth on your bevel gears? Hobbing or using involute cutters on a straight cut gear is not a huge deal, bevel gears can be a whole other animal.

I'm the bill-payer, owner-operator, project coordinator-manager, all with a love of History, but gear-cutting is pretty much the point that I am way out of my depth. My only plan is to use a machinist that has a reputation for knowing what he is doing and me requiring the end-product to be "exactly like the one from the factory". I'm more than happy with my pattern maker and have had some gear advice from an acquaintance that is now rebuilding a pretty famous Duesenberg engine. Even so, my ignorance has me biting my nails!
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

That's not a Steam Engine that is a gas engine powered tractor. Farmers were used to steam traction engines so they tried to keep the same concept. That tractor in the back ground kinda looks like an Altman-Taylor.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Thanks Wayne for knowing that kind of stuff ....
Merlinn

Post by Merlinn »

Kyle, I am interested in your tractor. Where in Oregon are you. I lived in Sisters but now live in Northern Washington . Still make trips to Oregon and would like to stop and see the tractor, if that’s something you would allow. I restored a 1925 Fordson and two Gibson tractors in the past. Fun stuff..
“What we’ve got here, is, failure to communicate “
kylen

Post by kylen »

In regard to the tractor questions, the large one in the back is a 30-60 Aultman Taylor. The one that looks like a steam tractor is indeed a gas-powered tractor with a two-cylinder engine. It is a very interesting crossover between the steam and gas tractors. The "boiler" is full of water and has tubes in it just like a steam tractor. The exhaust from the engine is blasted up the stack and creates a draft pulling cold air through the tubes cooling the water. So rather than heating the water to create steam, this cools the water as a radiator.

These pieces belonged to a man I did work for and have since been sold. If your ever in the area there are several tractor things to look at around. Every year we display at the Great Oregon Steam Up, which is the last weekend of July and the first weekend of August. We do have a windmill set up and a very nicely restored large wind charger.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Thanks. Saw a Fair-Mor at Rolag MN. in 2012, Did the Altman-Taylor have the air start system. Pretty neat you put piston at TDC, prime then pump air into cylinder while working the spark. When everything was good it would fire and away she would go.
JBarker

Post by JBarker »

Windcatcher530 Dan wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 7:22 am K.R.B. The model 1897 that had the glass oilers only came in a 10 ft model I've only seen one a guy in dutches county owns it i don't know if it's the glass oilers are the same as the Iron Turbine.I don't know if the 1888 and 1889 models were painted they were on tilting wooden towers.the first steel towers were painted and in 1892 they started galvanized towers.I was told that some guy has a original mill and is the only one known.I have one of the first transition mills from the spyder hub to the Bell Hub which took the vertical spring and the original tailvane and wheel with cast iron sail ties.
Dan,

Can you share a pic of the first transition mills you are talking about? Thanks.

Jerry
Jerry Barker
Wills Point, Texas
214-893-2864
www.Farmhousewindmills.com
farmhousewindmills@hotmail.com