Baker Model L Rebuild

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
kylen

Baker Model L Rebuild

Post by kylen »

As my first windmill project I am working on a Baker Model L. This machine has been well used and appears to be mostly, if not all complete. The only thing I know that I am missing is the concrete counterweight. This is the first part cleaned and, in this case, ready to be repaired.

-Kyle
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mtblah

Re: Baker Model L Rebuild

Post by mtblah »

Kyle , are you a good cast iron welder ?
looks like a clean break .
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Kyle Terry in Kansas had some of those spiders cast. I bought one from him. Don't know if he has any left. He's on the site you might reach out to him.
Kansas Rust Buzzard

Post by Kansas Rust Buzzard »

If you can find a new one, I would go that rout but on the bright side, your pivot holes are not egged out. You could certainly weld that if you have to but if Terry has a new casting you will never wonder about it again.
Terry

Post by Terry »

I do have some recast spiders.
Let me know if you want one.
Terry
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Kyle , you just found how invaluable these windmiller are , wow , to have a recast part for a hundred year old windmill is just , wow .
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

I would buy a new one and I did. I had one I broke and welded, it came apart again about the time Terry said he had some. You spend all that time and effort to get one in the air and then have a welded part come apart can make you set down and cry.
kylen

Post by kylen »

Yes, cast iron welds is something I have done before. Since the breaks are so clean, and the holes appear to be in decent shape I am leaning towards repairing this one. Right now, I am working on a fixture plate to make the repair easier. I am debating between torch welding and brazing for this part. Thanks for all the input!

Here are a couple of photos of a cylinder head me and a friend did. Cast iron torch welded repair.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Kyle , what does the cylindar head fit ?
kylen

Post by kylen »

As I remember it was for a Stover. We also have some heat exchangers to do for an Ottawa engine for the same friend.