Windmill Barn

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about windmills, in most cases.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Re: Windmill Barn

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Thank you guys, Much Appreciated. Dan!!
Windcatcher530 Dan

My next mill I'm displaying in my barn is a Stover Samson they were made with two different base plates. One that took ball bearings and one that didn't. Mine is the one that doesn't take ball bearings was there a thrust washer that set on top of my base plate?
20230109_103106.jpg
20230109_102915.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

Looks good.

I’d probably put one of these there…an oil impregnated thrust washer, sort of like what is in the photo.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by CTXmiller on Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
hwy8

Post by hwy8 »

What is the source of that thrust washer? It looks like a catalog I'd like to order from now and then! I bought a Monitor L and the previous owner used a white-slippery-plastic-nylon-kind of washer: It turned easily but I wasn't sure of the load it could take. The spec's on this one look great!

Burt
Kansas Rust Buzzard

Post by Kansas Rust Buzzard »

I always thought those were attractive mills. I picked up a really nice one years ago and have been saving it for an indoor display also. Is that the color of green it was originally? I couldn't find a trace of color on mine, even under bolts. Looks good!
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

hwy8 wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:13 pm What is the source of that thrust washer? It looks like a catalog I'd like to order from now and then! I bought a Monitor L and the previous owner used a white-slippery-plastic-nylon-kind of washer: It turned easily but I wasn't sure of the load it could take. The spec's on this one look great!

Burt
McMaster-Carr…has the most comprehensive inventory that I’ve encountered and that is the source via the McMaster-Carr app. My Parish windmill had a white nylon plastic type washer as its thrust bearing. At first I cut a replacement from a plastic barrel lid. Then I decided an oil impregnated thrust bearing might be better.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Thank you for that info Michael i definitely will be using them. FYI if you have a 8 or 9ft open gear Samson bed plate number 3058 takes ball bearings.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

I agree , I purchased the same bearing from McMaster for the 2nd Ideal Steel that was just set up . Should last at least 50 years , maybe more so the next guy doesnt have to worry for a while .
McMaster Carr is a good company to deal with , fast service
Mike B
New Braunfels TX
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

mtblah wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:00 am I agree , I purchased the same bearing from McMaster for the 2nd Ideal Steel that was just set up . Should last at least 50 years , maybe more so the next guy doesnt have to worry for a while .
McMaster Carr is a good company to deal with , fast service
Mike B
New Braunfels TX
Mike,

McMaster-Carr by far has the best inventory, variety and fast shipping.
I have found Grainger will ship to store, without cost, so if I need say a 6’ or 6” piece of 7/8” round stock or a single shaft collar, it is cheaper to use Grainger than McMaster-Carr. Price-wise things are similar for the most part and in other instances Grainger is higher or much higher.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Those Samson mlls also came with the later ones having a larger mainshaft and those long roller bearings that they don't make anymore. Don't remember the name of them, but I will soon as I hit 'post'. lol
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.