Bryon from Davisburg MI

For New Members. Tell us about yourself.
BryonB

Bryon from Davisburg MI

Post by BryonB »

Hello all, I'm just getting started in this hobby and hoping to learn from those of you who have kept it alive. Last summer we fulfilled my fiancé's dream of having a windmill on the farm. I found a guy near us in Oxford MI that had Chicago 702A mills for sale from Nebraska (he has more), and it was just what we wanted! So the mill has been up for a while and I have been purchasing the pump pieces needed to build a pumper soon, and in the process of figuring it out. I also just stumbled across a model 611 Zenith Wincharger that was meant for us! I got it home last week and am in the process of cleaning it up. The gentleman also had the Zenith farm console radio that his parents purchased new with it around 1938-1940 (with all the paperwork!). They talk about barn finds, this was mine! I'm looking forward to learning from everybody!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Re: Bryon from Davisburg MI

Post by windybob »

Awesome! Folks here are happy to help. There is a section for wind chargers, and Mike is the best. The Aermotor in the picture may very well be a pumper, but to know, the helmet should come off and be looked at. Also, it contains oil, and needs to be checked. Look on the cast parts, and on the front of the case should say like 702 or 602 and have a letter preceeding that number. The number is the model, and the letter is the size.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
PaulV
Site Admin

Post by PaulV »

Welcome Bryon! Glad you're here.
PaulV
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Bryon , welcome aboard , glad you found the best windmill web site , lots of very knowledgable windmiller on this site willing to share knowledge .
Windcharger Mike is the best , lives in Manor TX just up the road from me .
BryonB

Post by BryonB »

Thank you! Actually I spoke to Mike on the phone and he directed me to this group. He certainly sounds like the expert on everything Wincharger!
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

yup
BryonB

Post by BryonB »

windybob wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:33 am Awesome! Folks here are happy to help. There is a section for wind chargers, and Mike is the best. The Aermotor in the picture may very well be a pumper, but to know, the helmet should come off and be looked at. Also, it contains oil, and needs to be checked. Look on the cast parts, and on the front of the case should say like 702 or 602 and have a letter preceeding that number. The number is the model, and the letter is the size.
Ours is a Chicago 702A. Before I put it up I disassembled and cleaned the motor, and replaced any worn parts with new from Aermotor. That is the dirtiest oil on the planet! It may have never had an oil change by the color of it. I refilled it with low visc 10 weight and have noticed quite a bit of oil coming from the pivot area of the motor (not the hub/input shaft) after we had some very windy days. Up until the very windy days I hadn't noticed any leaks, so I don't know if it was spinning too fast and slinging oil out the pump rod opening, or I have a crack in the motor housing. I filled it per Aermotor specs for an 8' mill. If it continues I will take the case apart and check for cracks.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Bryon , the brake is a wondeful thing on windy days . At least furl the tail to slow it down .
windybob

Post by windybob »

Here is what I've learned about Aermotors.... At the base of where the hoop mounts, where the pins are, under the tab opposite the pumprod hole, there is usually a small hole. Some don't have it, and some have it in different places. It's like they experimented with where to put it, due to under / or over oil seepage. WHat this hole does, is weep oil, down thru the center of the case to lube the mastpipe, eventually the turntable also. Sometimes this weephole lets too much oil in, sometimes not enough. Of course, it always gets plugged up anyway. When the mill spins fast, of course more oil reaches the top are, and down to the pumprod yoke it goes, down around the umbrella washer , and some entering the weephole. The faster the spin, the more oil. Ergo, maybe leaking down , overfilling the turntable, or maybe even some getting down the pumprod hole. Might check the umbrella washer, or a egg shaped severely worn hole in the mastpipe nut/ umbrella washer. If the oil is ALL going down the pumprod and swivel, OR ALL coming from the turntable cup and none (or very little) getting on the pumprod swivel, then the oil could be coming from either place or both.

I have been known to take a bit of grease, and plug, or partially plug the weephole inside the case due to too much oil weeping.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Windy , see how smart you are ! the mechanical lesson is much appreciated , wish I had known that before mine went up on the tower . I dont have an over oiling problem , but maybe an underoiling as nothing leaks . or make noise , or shakes , just a lovely humming . ;)