Windmill hand pump construction

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about windmills, in most cases.
BryonB

Windmill hand pump construction

Post by BryonB »

Hello, I'm in the process of building a pumper and need some advice. We have an Aermotor 702A w/21' tower, and a Baker Monitor 12HD pump stand with a 2" x 10" pump cylinder that will mount to a 5" or 6" well casing. A few questions: What should I use to connect the pump rod on the mill to the hand pump flat shaft? I am thinking a 16' length of wood would be long enough, but size and type? Also is there a quick way to connect/ disconnect the rod from the top of the hand pump with a pin rather than bolts? The issue seems to be having the ability to operate the hand pump when we want to, and not have the lever moving up and down when the mill is turning either. I think I can easily remove the pin on the pump handle to use the mill, but what would be easiest to disconnect the mill to use the hand pump?

Another thing is installing the pump cylinder into a residential well with an electric submersible pump already servicing a home. The hand pump would be completely independent of the domestic water supply. I'm considering installing the cylinder shallow at about 4'-5' on a 1-1/4" galvanized pipe, and using a poly suction pipe with a foot valve on the bottom of the cylinder to draw water from down lower near the submersible. Has anybody here done it like this? I don't want the cylinder to freeze even with a bleed hole just above it.

With a pump cylinder being shallow, will I need some ballast on the sucker rod? I'm using 7/16" steel rod about 8' long to a 2" x 10" cylinder.
mtblah

Re: Windmill hand pump construction

Post by mtblah »

Bryon , it appears you pretty well have your solutions to your questions .
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

There are spring loaded pins to do what you are talking about to disconnect from the hand pump. I've seen them before. The picture I have of my Mama pumping water with the pump under our windmill. The pump rod from the windmill is disconnected and put to the side. I figure it was something simple and easy to do. Can't really tell from the picture.
BryonB

Post by BryonB »

Wayne wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:39 am There are spring loaded pins to do what you are talking about to disconnect from the hand pump. I've seen them before. The picture I have of my Mama pumping water with the pump under our windmill. The pump rod from the windmill is disconnected and put to the side. I figure it was something simple and easy to do. Can't really tell from the picture.
Thank you Wayne! Share that picture if you can.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Mama pumping water Oklahoma Fram.jpg
Roberta Nd Donald 001.jpg
There's Mama I say getting water to boil taters for a Sunday lunch and a picture of the complete windmill an tower. I'm sure the old tower had a wood wheel windmill on it at sometime.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
topcop491

Post by topcop491 »

91D8A493-3618-432E-B985-8004D05BC591.jpeg
BryonB, here is couple pics of a Challenge disconnect that I have. It is not spring loaded. J.D.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

J D , that looks way to easy to switch between modes . I have not seen any Aermotor products that are that easy .
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

That is pretty handy and easy I've never seen one. Thanks
windybob

Post by windybob »

The spring is missing from it. I think I have a bunch of those things.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
JBarker

Post by JBarker »

F&W disconnect
Jerry Barker
Wills Point, Texas
214-893-2864
www.Farmhousewindmills.com
farmhousewindmills@hotmail.com