Windmill ID

Have a part you can't identify? Did your parts get mixed up in the shop? Curious if that chunk of metal is a part you should keep? Not sure what kind of windmill or tower you have? Post photos of the mystery object here for the community to help identify.
Lahanna

Windmill ID

Post by Lahanna »

Hi everyone ! Here is my windmill I do believe it says Baker I can’t get a really good picture of it but can make out a BA it does not show in pic . However the pump Jack is Butler 🤷‍♀️ Anyone have any idea ? Thank you !
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Re: Windmill ID

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

I believe that is a Baker windmill manufactured by the Heller Aller windmill co.and appears to be an open gear in good condition.Nice find!!!
Lahanna

Post by Lahanna »

Thank you for the reply ! I am very new to
Windmills so what does open gear mean ? Many thanks !
Windcatcher530 Dan

Open gear windmills were the first mills the gears were out in the elements and you could see them.The oil bath mills came out later in the late teens of the 1900s. The gears are in a cast iron case with oil and a hood on top to keep out the rain, snow, dust,sun,etc. Did i miss anything guys!!!
windybob

Post by windybob »

Also, Baker is the model. The maker is Heller Aller of Napoleon Ohio. This is NOT Baker Mfg co. of Evansville Wisconsin. The men of the time were cousins I believe. (or brothers) and went on to 2 different companies. Baker Mfg made Monitor windmills.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Lahanna

Post by Lahanna »

Thank you that clarifies some things . The Baker had me confused . I do believe it did say Napoleon O also on the vane . Makes sense we are about 20 min from there .
windybob

Post by windybob »

Those are somewhat common down here, but NOT the open gear model. I could use that for my collection. lol
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Lahanna

Post by Lahanna »

Lol . How many do you have if you have a collection ? That sounds fun !
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Lori , that is not a question you want to ask Windy ! In Ames OK where his windmill bone yard is located there are MANY waiting restoration . He is one of the very experienced windmill's who shares information and parts to the rest of us novices .
Thats my story and i'm sticking to it . ;)
Windcatcher530 Dan

Lori from the pictures I can't tell if it's a direct stroke or back stroke either way it's at least 100 yrs old. Being it's an open gear if you plan on pumping water with it it's going to require a lot of maintenance.oiling or greasing of the bearings and maybe gears.That means climbing the tower.