Take a guess

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about windmills, in most cases.
Kansas Rust Buzzard

Take a guess

Post by Kansas Rust Buzzard »

What type of windmill are you betting? 1880s photo.
20230120_213038.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Challenge 27

Re: Take a guess

Post by Challenge 27 »

Based on how the vane is noticeably lower than the wheelshaft, and how the windmill appears to be held up on a length of pipe, and the profile of the trailing edge of the vane, I will guess the American Advance, made by the American Well Works of Aurora. Illinois. For a time, the Chicago Tubular Well Works sold a windmill called the Acme that appears to have been almost identical. See pages 124-125 of the Field Guide.

Challenge 27
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Im guessing Demster No. 9
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

I agree with Challenge 27. Vane is to low to be a Dempster No. 9
Kansas Rust Buzzard

Well, I pondered both of those but the American Adcance had the severe angled wheel pokes as the center of the wheel came out over the center of the main bearing. When you blow it up and darken it, I really think the spoke arms are conventional. The tall pipe like it and the OK is very similar. The Demp #9 didn't use the bottom bed plate in the tower like that and also, this photo is dated decades before they were made. American Advnace is still my first guess but I really don't believe it to be.
Kansas Rust Buzzard

I am attaching a pic to demonstrate the angle of the AM W W mill, note the inner rim is on one side and the outer on the other of the arm because of the angle, I can't seem to save a photo of the enhanced photo but I don't believe the arms angle.
Kansas Rust Buzzard

I may be wrong but I don't see the angle in this original photo
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.