Odd Challenge DS

......when you need to get in the weeds.
sandhillmills

Re: Odd Challenge DS

Post by sandhillmills »

KRB, I bought both of these mills. They are different sizes but basicly the same mills.I think the bigger mill is 12 foot and has 2000 series part numbers. The smaller mill I believe is a wood wheeled mill with 1000 part numbers. The small mill does not have the brake mechanism. Both mills had side vanes which makes me think Challenge. The spider arms are all broken off the smaller mill, but appeared to be for a wood wheel. The brace plate on the end of the main shaft appears to be made for bracing wooden sections. I have never seen anything like this in $0 years of collecting out here on the high plains.I have parts lists on the way, so I may know more shortly. I had to buy a pallet of Eclipse parts because some of the parts to the smaller mill was on it. I believe I have everything for the smaller mill but a good spider. Maybe someone out in the windmill world can help us out. Thanks,Ron
Kansas Rust Buzzard

Post by Kansas Rust Buzzard »

Thanks for pictures Dan, also, congratulations Ron! I am glad they went to a good home, Please let me know what you find out, this is by far the most interesting Challenge item I have seen show up in our area.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Agreed what a great find. It's looking to be more challenge now especially with a side vane. You'll probably find some of the other parts you need will be from other challenge mills. My Snow has factory parts from two other challenge mills
sandhillmills

Post by sandhillmills »

I saw a Challenge Steel mill a few years ago with the side vain, but It was internal geared if I remember right. I need to call the seller and ask how he knew they were Challenge mills. They probably came out of the Nebraska sandhills.'
Windcatcher530 Dan

Ron some of the later Sandy's had side vanes also.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Sorry Dandys not Sandy's.
Linda Jacox

Post by Linda Jacox »

Here is a picture of our 4-section wood D.S. As you say, the brake wheel is different, but the main frame looks the same.
DSCN1067.JPG
We also have a 5-section wood & steel D.S. but don't have pictures right now.
The Stuhr Museum in Grand Island, NE, has a 4-section wood D.S. on display.
DSCN1108.JPG
If you need any information, measurements, etc., just ask. We'll be glad to help. I have more photos, too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Linda Jacox
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Linda , Les , thank you for sharing !
Kansas Rust Buzzard

Post by Kansas Rust Buzzard »

Outstanding windmill LInda!
windybob

Post by windybob »

I have a Challenge Steel with the internal bullgear, and the mainframe looks very similar.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.