Odd Challenge DS

......when you need to get in the weeds.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Re: Odd Challenge DS

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Ron what's the latest on your mystery Mill. I'm really curious to find out you must be excited.
sandhillmills

Post by sandhillmills »

First of all,I want to thank Linda and Les Jacox for the excellent pictures and information. I haven't found out much new information as I am awaiting the parts list in the mail. I've done some examination of the two mills. I'm sure the smaller mill is a wooden wheel Challenge direct stroke mill with a 4 spoke spider. Hopefully the parts list will tell me the size of the mill by part number. The larger mill is unique. The mill has 2000 series part numbers except for the spider and brace plate on the shaft end. The spider and brace plate are 3000 part numbers, but the parts are machined to be on this mill. They are not farmerized onto the mill. I await the parts list to see what I really have. The mill is a Challenge direct stroke without a doubt, but the angled arm hub and end plate really make this different. I've looked at the "Dandy" parts and while they look somewhat the same, they mount very differently. The end plate on a "Dandy" is held on with a pin, and on my mill it is threaded onto the main shaft and has a locking nut. I first thought that someone tried to retrofit a "Dandy" steel wheel to this mill, but the machine work is just too much of a job years ago.I appreciate everyones input and hopefully we will figure this one out. Thanks, Ron
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Thank you for that update. Like i posted earlier my challenge Snow has parts from two earlier mills that were used by the factory.You might find the same with your mill and some of the parts might be tweaked but made for that Mill.