F&W 8ft Steel Star project

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
windybob

Re: F&W 8ft Steel Star project

Post by windybob »

If you are going to repaint, then make a stencil from clear plastic first.. The thicker stuff that won't stretch.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
TdcJD

Post by TdcJD »

Pb blaster had no effect. Maybe lemon juice? And that's a good idea on doing a stencil windy, thank you!
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

Maybe a magic eraser? They work well on a variety of stains, but I’ve never tried one on a vane.
TdcJD

Post by TdcJD »

Magic eraser also had no effect. Think I will try wetting paper towels with vinegar and setting them on the spots to keep it off the letters and see if that does anything
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

You might try CLR on the rust stains, not sure what it might do to the lettering. I used. CLR in a spray bottle on a rust stained shower at work and the rust stains rinsed off.
Gregg
TdcJD

Post by TdcJD »

I'm afraid how the clr might react with the galvanization. However I tried lemon juice and it seems to do the trick. Even brings back the shine to the galvanization that's under the rust stain. I don't think it's the vane itself that's rusted. Looks like something was sitting on it that left rust stains on top of it
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Thomas send some pics of tailvane.Thanks!!!
RPinAZ

Post by RPinAZ »

I've used vinegar with good results in the past. When I built my tower, I had to remove all the mill scale from the angle iron before spraying on the ZRC. I soaked it for 24 hours in vinegar and the next day, it just wiped off.

-RP
TdcJD

Post by TdcJD »

The vane hasn't changed much since the picture I posted the other day. I've only done a couple small spots. The lemon juice does eat at the paint so I'm having to work around it. Going to take a while to do the whole thing. I might also try vinegar and see if it's easier on the paint so I can just spray the whole thing down