F&W 8ft Steel Star project

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Re: F&W 8ft Steel Star project

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

I agree with Bob on welding it. If you've never weld cast you might want to find someone who does.
TdcJD

Post by TdcJD »

Ahh okay, yea I have a welder, but don't know how to weld cast. I'd have to do some looking to find someone who can. Figured brazing would be nice because then I could do it myself. But I do know having it welded would be much stronger
Windcatcher530 Dan

Thomas if your mill isn't going to be functional and more or less for display and you know how to braze i would do that and save yourself some money.
TdcJD

Post by TdcJD »

My plan was to have it set up in my backyard on a short tower maybe 10 or 15ft tall and have it hook up to a pump sitting in a tank underneath it as like a circulating water feature or something like that. If y'all don't think the braze will be strong enough I'll find someone to weld it. I would hate to ruin a tail if it was to break and fall off
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

There is a company Brecko Corp. in Abilene Tx that sales a rod called Magna 770 especially made for cast iron. I have used it with good results. breckocorp@yahoo.com they will sale small amounts.
TdcJD

Post by TdcJD »

Hmm, I'll have to look into that. Would certainly be a handy welding rod to have. I did also find a welding shop in town that says they can weld cast, might be best to let someone that knows what they are doing weld it haha.
Haven't done much to the windmill this week, but I did pick up this thing so I can now melt my own babbitt now!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Windcatcher530 Dan

That is really cool Thomas i like that, never seen one before.
TdcJD

Post by TdcJD »

I don't know a whole lot about it. Says Unique Manufacturing Co. Model no. 55 on it. Old plumbers furnace for melting lead. No idea on how old it is.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Well that sure looks safe. ;)
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Welding cast is as much work as you want it to be. Get a couple pieces, reverse the current, set to medium, and with some nickle rod, go for it. You may be surprised.

Of course, if you really want to, then overthink it, sweat about it, go for 20 steps you don't need, and good luck. If you can stick weld steel, there are not many reasons why you can't weld cast. For windmill purposes. You are not fixing cracked blocks, or heads. Remember, a windmill is not a Mona Lisa.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.