Baker WB on a three post tower.

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
Jim Corcoran

Baker WB on a three post tower.

Post by Jim Corcoran »

Hopefully somebody has done this before and can provide me with some guidance. I’m trying to mount a Baker WB on a 3 post tower. I have what is purported to be (per the Baker catalog a # WB1A) a universal head plate for either a 4 or 3 post tower. Does anyone have a photo or drawing of how this headplate attaches to the tower plates or tower legs? I haven’t been able to figure it out. Attached images are of a four post mount and the three post headplate I have. Thanks in advance for any help.

Jim
WB headplate.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
" You need to get at least 30 miles out of Austin before you're firmly back in Texas."
Windcatcher530 Dan

Re: Baker WB on a three post tower.

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Jim did you try measuring the distance between holes on tower cap and then the holes on the plate you have center to center.
windybob

Post by windybob »

The three legged towers have similar tie plates as in the picture. Then the casting bolts to the appropriate holes. I might have a 3 legged tower top with the tie plates on it at the shop. Will take a look tomorrow.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Jim , there are 3 larger holes that make a triangle , a good place to start on 3 legged attchment .
one large flange , 3 holes 2 smaller flanges , 2 holes
Jim Corcoran

Post by Jim Corcoran »

Windy,
With this head plate you can only bolt to the tower plates to form a square, not a triangle. That's my issue.

Mike,
I'm aware of the three holes that form a triangle , but they do not match any thing on the tower plates. Thay's my issue.

Jim
" You need to get at least 30 miles out of Austin before you're firmly back in Texas."
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

image000000(194).jpg
image000001(93).jpg
Jim this is my attempt to do what you want to do. I'll try to answer any questions you might have. I cut, drilled and welded my side plates to match the base.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim Corcoran

Post by Jim Corcoran »

Wayne,
Thanks for the photos. I sort of figured I'd have to make something up to get it to work. I'm surprised that there is nothing in the parts list, drawings, catalogs, etc. that show what Baker's solution was.
Thanks again and best regards.
Jim
windybob

Post by windybob »

Took some pictures at the shop for some tower top brackets. Can't seem to get them to my pc here. I did it before.

The obvious triangle mounting is where the large holes are. I was playing with the 2 sets of tower plates I have to fit to another triangle configuration, with no luck unless i would drill new holes in the plates. Also with the plates I have, I would need to drill holes anyway. I cannot locate the 3 leg stub tower i did have, must have sold it with the 3 legged towers I had at one time.

I think you are right about making what you need. If you made a circle out of plate with a large hole in the center, to fit under the tower casting, you could drill and bolt anywhere you wanted around the circle.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Also, I don't remember if your tower legs were 90 or 60 degree angle. For flat plates, you would need 60. for 90 degree legs, you could squeeze them together to 60, for flat plates, or slit the top of the plate and bend them to fit 90 degree angle.
Smax

Post by Smax »

IMG_20230520_173219.jpg
This is how my WB turntable attaches to three legged tower
IMG_20230520_172732.jpg