Parish Windmill

......when you need to get in the weeds.
Kansas Rust Buzzard

Parish Windmill

Post by Kansas Rust Buzzard »

I am pondering rebuilding mine one of these days. Do we have any experts here? Did they ever have a parts list? How many vanes did they make? Mine is either farmer made from a blade or something weird. Also, can the age be figured by the serial number? I have nothing in my files so any help would be much appreciated.
CTXmiller

Re: Parish Windmill

Post by CTXmiller »

I have one I’m rebuilding, but I’m no expert. I’m most often on the dummy side of the tape measure.

I’m awaiting the main shaft replacement and a side vane from Dan B before I can complete the rebuild, plus making a short tower. I replaced the four main bearings on mine as these four bearings were toast and they beat the main shaft something awful. I recall making a post about replacing the main bearings and how I created a “fragmentation event” under a hydraulic press, before I learned how the bearings went in. In that thread, I recall mentioning some of the part #s for the bearings. It is way cheaper to buy NOS off of eBay for the bearings than to buy new from SealMaster.

The vanes have more factory holes in them than they need in my opinion.

I’ll post more photos during my actual reassembly.

I have a theory on the SN, but can’t verify my theory. My plate says “AB 8 1309277”, which is the model and size, followed by the SN of which I was guessing it was made in 1977.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kansas Rust Buzzard

Post by Kansas Rust Buzzard »

Great pictures, I think mine had a row of blades on end for a vane so I bet that was a patch job. Mine was bought at a farm and ranch show in Amarillo back in the day and it didn't last very long according to the guy who gave it to me. I will have to look up your old thread. I looked at mine and if your theory of dates is correct, and I suspect it is, mine was made in 1982. An interesting piece of history and worth preserving, thanks.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Mike and K.R.B. keep us posted on your progress, thanks Dan!!!
JBarker

Post by JBarker »

Mike and KRB, please keep us posted on the Parish rebuilds.....
Jerry Barker
Wills Point, Texas
214-893-2864
www.Farmhousewindmills.com
farmhousewindmills@hotmail.com