Help with Tower I.D.??

Have a part you can't identify? Did your parts get mixed up in the shop? Curious if that chunk of metal is a part you should keep? Not sure what kind of windmill or tower you have? Post photos of the mystery object here for the community to help identify.
JBarker

Help with Tower I.D.??

Post by JBarker »

Any ideas what tower id is and the length? Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jerry Barker
Wills Point, Texas
214-893-2864
www.Farmhousewindmills.com
farmhousewindmills@hotmail.com
Wayne

Re: Help with Tower I.D.??

Post by Wayne »

I think I was told one time the tower casting is Monitor. It was for a big mill, heavy duty angle iron and the storm stay is way down in the tower and the cross piece for the platform is way down from the top. Looks to be close to 40 ft.
JBarker

Post by JBarker »

Wayne wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:50 am I think I was told one time the tower casting is Monitor. It was for a big mill, heavy duty angle iron and the storm stay is way down in the tower and the cross piece for the platform is way down from the top. Looks to be close to 40 ft.
What do you think the value is on it? Thanks
Jerry Barker
Wills Point, Texas
214-893-2864
windybob

Post by windybob »

I doubt it's Monitor. Maybe IXL or some odd brand like that. Wrong tower top, wrong stormstay, and I have never seen rivets at the top like that on a Monitor. Be nice to have a picture of some steps or ladder.

I don't know.....maybe 50 bucks. Depends on how bad you need it.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
JBarker

Post by JBarker »

windybob wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:11 pm I doubt it's Monitor. Maybe IXL or some odd brand like that. Wrong tower top, wrong stormstay, and I have never seen rivets at the top like that on a Monitor. Be nice to have a picture of some steps or ladder.

I don't know.....maybe 50 bucks. Depends on how bad you need it.
Ok, here are the rest of pics and the owner measured tower and its 21 ft long. Thanks.

Jerry
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jerry Barker
Wills Point, Texas
214-893-2864
windybob

Post by windybob »

Not too many makers did the double-twist wire braces. Dempster and Stover are the 2 that come to mind at the moment. It's NOT a Dempster. Not sure about Stover.
Dempster

Post by Dempster »

It could be a Fairbanks-Morse tower. I purchased one like it from Windybob several years back. It had the same type of riveted brackets and bolts holding the tower top together. I also bought another tower like it that had a Fairbanks-Morse WG on it. This tower however was only the top section, and without the ladder. The prior owner who salvaged it was just able to salvage the top section, and the windmill head.

Lance
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

I guess the way the pictures are taken makes it look taller but that sure looks to be a long 21 ft. Is that tower in Quitman? I have atop casting the same style but it has 12 holes for bolts. It seem to have those adjusting eccentrics like Dempster but Fairbanks could have done the same. If Windy says it ain't a Dempster I believe it or if he says a Chicken can pull a freight train I'd say hook her up!
JBarker

Post by JBarker »

Wayne wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:27 am I guess the way the pictures are taken makes it look taller but that sure looks to be a long 21 ft. Is that tower in Quitman? I have atop casting the same style but it has 12 holes for bolts. It seem to have those adjusting eccentrics like Dempster but Fairbanks could have done the same. If Windy says it ain't a Dempster I believe it or if he says a Chicken can pull a freight train I'd say hook her up!
Lol.

Not located in Quitman. Going to look at it in Huntsville next weekend. Windmiller in Coriscana, TX thinks its a Flint and Walling due to the twisted wire braces and sheet metal ladder. I'm still learning. Thanks for all the help guys.

Jerry
Jerry Barker
Wills Point, Texas
214-893-2864
windybob

Post by windybob »

Wayne, a chicken cannot pull a freight train. lol However, i may believe Lance on this one. I remember having a WG on a tower at one time, but don't remember the tower.. It's possible that it could be that one.