2023 Aermotor Windmill Technician Certification Training at Howard College, San Angelo, TX

JBarker

2023 Aermotor Windmill Technician Certification Training at Howard College, San Angelo, TX

Post by JBarker »

Join us at the Second Aermotor Windmill Technician Certification Training at Howard College in San Angelo, TX.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jerry Barker
Wills Point, Texas
214-893-2864
www.Farmhousewindmills.com
farmhousewindmills@hotmail.com
JBarker

Re: 2023 Aermotor Windmill Technician Certification Training at Howard College, San Angelo, TX

Post by JBarker »

Got me a new climbing harness and positioning strap for school.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jerry Barker
Wills Point, Texas
214-893-2864
Wayne

Re: 2023 Aermotor Windmill Technician Certification Training at Howard College, San Angelo, TX

Post by Wayne »

Looks like you have every thing hanging off you except the kitchen sink. You will probably win the best dressed award!
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Jerry , thank you for posting such an official photo , that is what we should strive for in safety servicing our windmills , but seldon do , we Texans love to short-cut our own safety .
Thank you for being more safety concous than some of us .
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

B T W , nice looking advertising behind you .
JBarker

Post by JBarker »

Thanks, I bought this new climbing harness because Aermotor asked me and my wife to be instructors this year at the 2023 school. We were humbled to be asked to take part because we are still learning ourselves. We have been in business for five years now, specializing in decorative windmills, windmill aerators, some restoration and repairs. Aermotor asked us to discuss how we got into the business and the do's and don'ts of the windmill business. We also taught tower climbing safety along with Charlie and Clayton Royall, Royalls Windmill and Pump Service, Luling, TX. We showed the class how we install windmills on a budget compared to the professional well guys with expensive pump/pulling unit trucks. Most beginner windmillers cannot afford to install windmills with pumping/pulling units/digger derrick trucks and need other options to get into the business or just raise their own mills at home.

I wanted to show the students the different harnesses you could use. The well guys in class use the waist belt version (or none at all) and I have been using a lighter duty bow hunting climbing harness. I really like this new harness; it has a cushioned seat on the back and the new repositioning strap is great to keep you tight to the tower or lean it out for comfort.

We had a great windmill school this spring with over 14 new students from around the state and some out of state. Nick Ohman, the GM of Aermotor does a great job organizing this school. Nick really has a passion for windmills and preparing the next generation of windmillers to keep the industry thriving. We had new instructors this Spring 2023 class. Charlie Royall, Royalls Windmill and Pump Service, Luling, TX and Chad Peterson, Concho Windmill and Pump Service, San Angelo, TX were the other two instructors along with the staff from Aermotor Co. We are trying to have two classes a year. They are organized by Aermotor Co. and sponsored by Howard College, San Angelo, TX and the San Angelo Chamber of Commerce. The goal is to train the next generation of windmillers. We hope to have two classes a year in San Angleo at Howard College and the Aermotor HQ. We also discussed getting the windmill class approved by the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation so the professional well drillers and pump installers can gain CE (continuing education) hours. This is something the windmill school at New Mexico State University should be doing, we hope to encourage them to follow our lead since many of us attend that yearly training.

Folks, we are part of a dying industry and hopefully we can help train the future windmillers to keep it alive. The ranchers here in Texas tell us all the time one of the reasons they replace their windmills is because their well guys refuse to work on them or have no knowledge of windmills. We are trying to slowly address that with these training classes and encourage the use of windmills in the right applications. Thanks for all you help and guidance we have received.

Jerry

Last edited by JBarker on Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jerry Barker
Wills Point, Texas
214-893-2864
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

THANK YOU Jerry !
while you ae in San Angelo would you ask Nick to attend the Windmill Trade Show in Potette with a display of there products and advertising ?
JBarker

Post by JBarker »

mtblah wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 6:59 am THANK YOU Jerry !
while you ae in San Angelo would you ask Nick to attend the Windmill Trade Show in Potette with a display of there products and advertising ?
I emailed Nick and he said he would see if it will be possible or not. Can you send me the booth registration so I can pass it onto him? Thanks
Jerry Barker
Wills Point, Texas
214-893-2864
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

As soon as that info is available I will get it to you & Nick .
I may venture to guess there would not be a charge for Aermotor , just my thought for now .
keep you posted
thanks .
Ron Stauffer

Post by Ron Stauffer »

Training is one step but some other factors at play are higher costs of windmills over solar on a complete install and the fact that NRCS or conservation districts will not cost share windmills. In fact as of late, NRCS in a lot of states is requiring the windmills be removed if solar or pipeline is cost shared. Windmills are not eligible for tax credits either. The industry would now rely solely on Aermotor for any potential lobbying or tax incentive influence. For them, it would just be an added cost to an already lopsided equation.

For fall protection, I only use a lineman's safety belt with a small side tool pouch. If anything is being done that requires more tools than in my side pouch, we put the mill on the ground where it is easier and safer to work on. Trucks are expensive but as I have said in the past, your customers pay for your trucks.

Ron Stauffer
Montrose CO