Wind engine 702s

......when you need to get in the weeds.
deep water

Wind engine 702s

Post by deep water »

Hello all.

I am seeing more and more of the Wind Engine 702s replacing worn out and damaged Aermotors in south, and west Texas. I recently (last year) had my well guy replace a 12 foot 702 that failed a mast pipe on one of our places in Brackettville. I just assumed I would see a Fiasa or an Aermotor on the tower after the repair, but to my surprise, it was a wind engine 702. Thus far, it appears to be good quality and works as it should. No complaints. But. I'm used to Fiasas and Aermotors, as I own 2 old 702 Aermotors and one Fiasa that I installed 20 years ago, and all are still going strong. All receive yearly care. As for the Wind Engine, I cant find a lot of information on their longevity. One site states they are close to junk, and another state they are great. One wont sell them, and the other sells piles of them. So. Some bias there from both directions.

What I would like is the straight skinny from the boys in the field working on the these things. Those who see a lot of them. Would like to know what the life expectancy is on these machines, failure points, ware patters, so on and so forth. This Wind Engine is lifting 385 foot, and I would like to know what parts to have on hand, to fix predictable failures on the spot if possible. And maybe they are just as robust as the others. Just don't know, and curious about them.

Any info helps.

Thanks
Deep Water
Reddirtwind

Re: Wind engine 702s

Post by Reddirtwind »

I posted in the “Fiasa 902” thread that it looks like Fiasa no longer makes the 702 in the 6/8/10 sizes (or at least, they are not distributed here). Would be curious to know more about the Wind Engines, and whether they are a viable alternative to an Aermotor 802 or Fiasa 902, or whether it’d just be better to get a rebuilt 702 Aermotor??
JBarker

Post by JBarker »

Windmill History:
The Aermotor Co. Windmills (HQ in San Angelo, TX) come with a 7-year manufacturer's warranty. Founded in1888 www.aermotorwindmill.com

Wind Engine 702 Windmills (HQ in Laredo, TX) come with a 10-year manufacturer's warranty. Founded in 1953 www.windmill702.com.
Aermotor Mexico manufacturers the windmills and then exports them to Laredo, TX and changes the name from Aermotor Mexico to Wind Engine 702. www.aermotor.com.mx. Aermotor Mexico has the rights to use the name Aermotor in Mexico but not in the USA.

Fiasa Windmills (HQ in Argentina) come with a 10-year manufacturer's warranty. Founded in 1962 www.fiasa.com.ar
The Aermotor Co. in San Angelo, TX is now the official USA distributor for Fiasa windmills (The Aermotor Co. bought the former American West Windmill Co. in Lubbock, TX). From 1969-1974, Fiasa manufactured the Aermotor windmills in Argentia.

Huracane Windmills (HQ in Argentina) come with a 10-year manufacturer's warranty. Founded in 1902 www.hurricanewindmill.com/en/
The Aermotor Co. San Angelo, TX imports and sell them under the name West Wind Windmills https://www.westwindwindmill.com. The Aermotor Co. sells the motor/head but they pair it with an Aermotor tower from San Angelo, Tx. I think they are slowly selling their remaining inventory of Huracane mills to make room for their Fiasa imports now. Two years ago, The Aermotor Co. was at the Texas Ground Water Association convention and was showcasing the West Wind Windmills. After the show, they gave me the 6ft. West Wind model to use. I have it on a stub tower at my house.

Currently, a former employee of The Aermotor Co. is importing the Huracan mills in San Angelo, Tx now. His business card reads Hurrican Windmills, Felix Guillen. www.hurricane-windmills.com, they have a facebook page, Hurricane Windmills.

Deep Water,

You posted some great questions about which windmills are better than the others. However, in my opinion, it's like asking which truck is better-Chevy, Dodge, Ford, Toyota?? Everybody will have their own opinions and biases.

Some windmillers will have positive experiences with one model or the other and others will have negative experiences. I have had great experiences with Aermotor and Wind Engines 702's, both on wells and as decorative windmills. I have had warranty issues with both brands where I needed to have parts replaced and both companies sent me out replacement parts with no hassles. In my humble opinion, if you install the windmill correctly and for the right application and do the annual maintenance, then you eliminate a lot of the future problems. Just my humble opinion.

The rising prices for American made windmill products has opened the door for less expensive global windmill products to enter the marketplace. Water well companies and other windmill professionals are trying to keep the cost of doing business down for their clients and offer them choices on what windmill to install (Domestic or Global). Some clients want the less expensive model with a better warranty over USA made. Some want USA made windmills only. The next debate I would like to start: Vintage Aermotor Windmills (Chicago) vs New Aermotor Windmills (San Angelo)?????

Now I will sit back and watch the fireworks on which windmill is better. American Made or Foreign Made! :)

Jerry

The two pics below is in front of The Aermotor Co. HQ in San Angelo, TX. In October 2022, there is an Aermotor standing next to a West Wind windmill (Huracan). In May 2023, the West Wind was replaced with an American West windmill (Fiasa).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by JBarker on Wed May 31, 2023 11:22 am, edited 18 times in total.
Jerry Barker
Wills Point, Texas
214-893-2864
www.Farmhousewindmills.com
farmhousewindmills@hotmail.com
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

You are right everyone has an opinion. My opinion is if it doesn't have Made in China on it I'll give it a try.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Jerry , thanks for the interesting history and your opinion ,,,,,,
windybob

Post by windybob »

I've installed them. I always thought they were well made. No pun intended.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: