602 shaft won't budge

......when you need to get in the weeds.
Windcatcher530 Dan

602 shaft won't budge

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

I can't get the hub to turn on this 602 even a hair. I'm pretty sure it's not the gears cause it looks pretty clean inside. And of course the pitman is at the bottom stroke so I can't remove large gears even though I'm pretty sure it's not the gears. I've had a three foot pipe wrench on it and it won't budge either way. Has anyone ever had this problem?
Windcatcher530 Dan

Re: 602 shaft won't budge

20230531_171307.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Reddirtwind

Post by Reddirtwind »

Heat it up good?? Maybe remove the plug in the hub (guess you can’t rotate to where oil scraper is!), and put some ATF or other penetrating oil in, in case the shaft is seized up in the snoot (may have to tilt it down a little, to keep all the oil from running out the back of the hub). Maybe fill the housing with oil or kerosene, and let it soak from that end, as well??
Last edited by Reddirtwind on Wed May 31, 2023 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Is the shaft siezed up to the Babbitt? Or is it possible the hub is rusted to the about.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Snout not about.
windybob

Post by windybob »

I would deal with the pitman pin first. Slice down between the arm and the yoke and then take out the bolt for the crank gears and get them loose. I think you get get them moved enough to seperate them from the pinions. Then maybe you can see what's actually locked, the pitman pin, the crank gears, or the mainshaft.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Well i took the bearing bar and cap off the bull gears and could move them back and forth so it's not them. I've filled the gear case with my secret rust remover two days ago and let it soak. I thought I'd see if it would budge this morning using a come a long,all it did was lift the tractor bucket.
20230603_080555.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Reddirtwind

Post by Reddirtwind »

Hmmm…. Obviously, you don’t want to get so aggressive that you crack the case, but have you tried some “moderately” aggressive blows with a mini-sledge or dead-blow to the front face of the hub, or a “quick blow” to your pipe wrench with a hammer, to try and break the inner rust loose??

Only other solutions I can think of, that wouldn’t have an even HIGHER risk of cracking something, would be to heat the case/snoot up with a weed burner (not so hot that you risk melting babbit), and then directing the spray from a can of r-134 coolant onto the hub shaft (from inside), so that it cools the shaft quick enough that maybe it shrinks/contracts just enough to loosen itself up some.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Once again I will .......never mind.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

This is part of that “we create our own job security” I mentioned in a prior post, but also tend to have challenges that make us question our decisions. I question my decisions often.

I’m not much help on a 602 other than I seem to occasionally collect parts for them.