Help identifying

Have a part you can't identify? Did your parts get mixed up in the shop? Curious if that chunk of metal is a part you should keep? Not sure what kind of windmill or tower you have? Post photos of the mystery object here for the community to help identify.
Travis.

Help identifying

Post by Travis. »

This was my dads old windmill I’m looking at restoring it. Does anyone know what model it is? Also the fan shaft bent and wore the cast where it comes out of the motor is that repairable or should I try to find a new housing? It’s sitting in a field 45 min from my house but I will try to get some better pictures when I get up there this next week.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Re: Help identifying

Post by windybob »

That's a Heller-Aller mill made in Napoleon Ohio. On the case it says the size. A MOD 8 is an 8 ft windmill, etc. Yes it is worth restoring. Very pretty mill when done, with the red trim on the sails and tail. Fairly common. Parts should be very little issue getting them. That company finally went out of business in 1988 I believe, so it was a longer lasting company than many. If I can find the picture, i wil;l post what the wheel (fan) looks like. I sold one to a customer who made a cieling fan for his lodge with it.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Well let's try this and see if I can get it posted.......

This was the test phase of the project. I did not do the motor or design part. An engineer friend of his did. This thing looks awesome hanging and turning from the ceiling in the lodge.
brents HA wheel movie.mov
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

When I found my Heller Aller the shaft was also bent. The pinion gears are held on the shaft with tapered pins and can only come out one way. Sometimes you have to drill them first. If i remember correctly the front snout/bearing is replaceable. This is mine!!!
20230709_125612_HDR.jpg
windybob

Post by windybob »

nice!
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

When you decide to restore it i have a friend in Ohio who helped me out I'll connect you with him.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Windy , gourgous work , love those red accents ! Travis , these are just an example ofwhat windmill could look like and keep it in the family !
Travis.

Post by Travis. »

Awesome guys I appreciate the help hopefully this next week I’ll go pick it up and bring it over to my place to start working on it. Windcatcher530 I’m sure I’ll be reaching out soon!
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

I bet that is an awesome site hanging from the ceiling spinning.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Next time I get down there I'll take a movie of it. It turns both directions, and is adjustable.