Howdy from Gilbert AZ

For New Members. Tell us about yourself.
RPinAZ

Howdy from Gilbert AZ

Post by RPinAZ »

Well, being as I’ve been on this site for a couple of years now, reading all I could, I should probably introduce myself (can’t rush into these things you know). I’m Robert but have gone by “RP” for as long as I can remember.

Not so quick story as to how I got here (not how I came into existence - how I got to this site). My folks were in their 90’s with deteriorating health and as a result, we were making trips from Arizona to Pensacola FL 3 or 4 times a year for the last several years. On one return trip in July of 2021, we went up to Fayetteville AR to get some army truck parts (that’s another story), and then headed out across Oklahoma. Ended up spending the night in Enid.

Got up early the next morning and headed west. Looking at the map I saw that there was a windmill museum in Shattuck. We’ve always liked windmills, so we headed there. Got to Shattuck bright and early, nobody was there so we walked out into field and began looking at all the windmills. It was great. After a while, a car drove up and this fellow got out (a mister Schoenhals) and began walking towards us. I told my wife that I think we’re in trouble. Well, to the contrary - he seemed to be as happy that we were there as we were and proceeded to show us all around and tell us about all the windmills. Afterwards he told us we should come to the trade fair in September. So we did.

We get to the trade fair in Shattuck that September and we’re walking through the buildings getting the lay of the land and I hear someone yell hey RP. I’m puzzled because I'm thinking I don’t know no one in this part of the country and I turn around and its Paul V. Paul and I used to work together up until I retired and neither of us knew the other was interested in windmills until then. Paul was gracious enough to explain to us what all we were looking at and we had a great time. Went to Lamar in June last year (where I got my first windmill, an X702 that I’ve got apart on the bench and will be posting questions about) and we’re set to go to Poteet in a few months.

I promise this is the longest post I’ll ever do. Thanks for having me.
-RP
Wind Charger Mike

Re: Howdy from Gilbert AZ

Post by Wind Charger Mike »

Great story and welcome…see you in Poteet
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

RP , glad to hear your story . Also glad to hear you are coming down to Poteet in September , it promises to be a good gathering .
Mike B
New Braunfels TX
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Glad to have you. Hope we cross paths and can say hi. If you don't know there also is a windmill park in Spearman Texas. Almost due West of Shattuck.
RPinAZ

Post by RPinAZ »

Thanks all. I'll be easy to spot - I'll be the one with the Santa Claus beard and the big smile.

-RP
RPinAZ

Post by RPinAZ »

Wayne, thanks for the info on Spearman. I've been to most of the towns around Spearman, but never to Spearman. I'll have to put it on the list.

-RP
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

Welcome to the forum
PaulV
Site Admin

Post by PaulV »

RP,
It was quite a surprise to cross paths with you in Shattuck! Glad we've reconnected thru this hobby. Look forward to seeing you guys in Poteet.
PaulV
rockingjl

Post by rockingjl »

Welcome to the forum from West Phoenix
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

If you end up in Spearman and haven't ever been to the Panhandle Plains Museum in Canyon. The collection at Spearman was put together by a man named J.B.Buchanan. He also gave a good sized Eclipse to the Museum at Canyon. Then you could head south to Lubbock. Three great Museums there if yo like looking at old stuff. If the weather ever gets cooler, I'm planning me a trip to the Panhandle.