Halladay

......when you need to get in the weeds.
Kansas Rust Buzzard

Halladay

Post by Kansas Rust Buzzard »

On the main frame, main casting of a 10ft Halladay, if it has a casting number K50, was it for a vaneless Halladay or Halladay Standard? I am thinking it was for the vaneless, it also has what looks like hand stamped serial number on a flat spot that other main castings I have examined lacked. If anyone has a picture of the shaft for a hollow shaft early version I would sure like to see it, I am missing that part and have not figured out how it was made from the parts list. Thank you in advance.
Minnemiller

Re: Halladay

Post by Minnemiller »

Aaron, I'm don't think they put serial numbers on the Vaneless. If they did it was maybe earlier in production. We have torn down 2 and neither had it. Every vaned version I've seen has had a serial number. I am not too familiar with their differences. I think Roger has a hollow shaft. Hope this helps.
Kansas Rust Buzzard

Good information, has there ever been any study of serial number range and dates? Even just an approximate number for the end of the hollow shafts? Thanks
Kansas Rust Buzzard

I am going to answer my own question for anyone else wondering. Serial numbers up to 8,000, made Aug 13, 1879, were hollow shaft. As for vaneless version, as Jud mentioned, I can't find a reference to numbering. Also, I can't find much on US solid wheel, being made about the same time I would assume it may have also been numbered but so far I have found little about them.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

K.R.B when you say hollow shaft do you mean like a thick walled pipe and what was the reason instead of solid shaft?
Kansas Rust Buzzard

e (2).jpg
The very early shafts were just that, hollow and a smaller shaft went down the middle much like the drawbar in a milling machine. I am attaching the two versions of the shaft. Its interesting to me as it looks like the hollow shaft would have been a lot more work to make and assemble.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Windcatcher530 Dan

So did the smaller shaft turn inside the larger shaft ?
Kansas Rust Buzzard

I don't believe so, I am trying to figure it all out myself, the junker who had my mill torched all the steel off the castings so I got to replicate it eventually.
rockislandnut

Post by rockislandnut »

The smaller shaft just rode inside the large one turning with the wheel. It was just a push rod that pushed a spider hub out on the end in and out to work the wheel linkage and turn it on and off.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Okay now i get the picture ! Thanks Darrin for clearing that up.