What am I doing wrong?

......when you need to get in the weeds.
mattshup

Re: What am I doing wrong?

Post by mattshup »

Look at the difference on the teeth between these two gears. First picture is of the gears that are nice and quiet. Second picture is of the noisy gears. You can see the small gears clicking back off the bigger space between the first set of gears.

Both these gears are supposed to be new, why is there such a big difference in the teeth?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

If they both came from the same place and are " NEW " apparently they don't know what they're doing. Even without my glasses i can see the difference.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Bad mold design before the casting.
Minnemiller

Post by Minnemiller »

The second pic is more similar to what Aermotor produced back in the day in countless numbers. These mills aren't precision machines and there was definitely backlash in the gears and clacking when going over center. I'm curious if the rattle in yours would go away once there was a little weight on the crosshead (even just the short steel pumprod).
LoTec

Post by LoTec »

Did you ever figure this problem out? How are the big gears installed? Is the 752 bearing holder installed with the pointy protrusions on top? Is the 751 bearing bar bolted down snugly?
Justineckel

Post by Justineckel »

You have a 702 gearbox with 602 big gears in it. I've had a few mills make that noise and it's typically due to the fact that one set of gears is new or been replaced, and the other set has different wear. You probably don't notice or see the wear on the gear set you have, until you'd lay it over a brand new gear. It doesn't take much difference to make noise. At the speed a windmill turns it won't hurt anything, just adds a voice to your windmill. just my .02
mattshup

Post by mattshup »

LoTec wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:18 am Did you ever figure this problem out? How are the big gears installed? Is the 752 bearing holder installed with the pointy protrusions on top? Is the 751 bearing bar bolted down snugly?
Never did truly figure it out. I did put that other set of gears in it that I posted pictures of awhile back and it did quiet it down substantially. Can’t heat it 100 yards away anymore like i could before.

Here was a picture i took. Of everything installed.
IMG_0316.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Does that bearing bar say Argentina on it? Is that an Argentina Aermoter mill ?
mattshup

Post by mattshup »

Windcatcher530 Dan wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:16 pm Does that bearing bar say Argentina on it? Is that an Argentina Aermoter mill ?
The bar does say Argentina and I believe the only thing that is stamped as such. The housing is a genuine Chicago mill. Sails and spokes and such are Dakota fresh made. And I’m assuming the “new” gears and bearings and such are Dakota made also. At least that’s what they told me when I bought it.
deep water

Post by deep water »

This is something I have noticed from Dakota rebuilds. I have the same issue with one of mine. I believe the pressure angle on the new pinion gears are not cut correctly. That, I believe is why they "clack" the way they do. Mine is the worst on the down stroke. The transfer of power is also rough, and shakes the sucker rod. But. It works, and has tamed down a little over the last few years. But its still there. I actually kind of gotten used to it. And I kind of enjoy listening to it when Im sitting by the tank. But I dont see the thing but once every other week or so.