ID on a windmill

Have a part you can't identify? Did your parts get mixed up in the shop? Curious if that chunk of metal is a part you should keep? Not sure what kind of windmill or tower you have? Post photos of the mystery object here for the community to help identify.
TdcJD

ID on a windmill

Post by TdcJD »

Found this one for sale I'm kinda looking at, any idea on what it is and if it's particularly rare?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Re: ID on a windmill

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Hard to tell from the pics but my guess is Woodman's !!!
windybob

Post by windybob »

Early Woodmanse open gear. Neat mills. Not really rare around here.

Woodmanse 1.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
TdcJD

Post by TdcJD »

Oh cool. Ad says its a 10ft model. Looked up some diagrams, rather interesting how the main shaft gear runs on the inside of the crank gear!
windybob

Post by windybob »

Yes, that's called an 'Internal Crank Gear' mill. Others have that also, but it's not very common. It's a good idea, though, due to there are more teeth engaged at any one time. And it doesn't alter the rotation of both shafts.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
TdcJD

Post by TdcJD »

Seems also good for keeping debris out of the gears aswell, but I could see birds trying to build a nest in there if it stayed stopped for too long.
Any idea on the approx date range it would have been produced? I couldn't find much info.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Early 1890s to early 1930s !!!
TdcJD

Post by TdcJD »

Wow quite a long lived model! I suppose there wouldn't be any good way to tell when this one was produced? I would definitely be more tempted to get it if it's prior to 1900!
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Windy , have to love your "easter egg " colors , !!
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

I have a 6 1/2 ft one. I don't see a vane in the pile I have a 10 ft vane for one I'd sale if you need one. Its in good shape. I like internal gears. They are unique. There are some differences in the early ones. If you found you some pictures you might Id it before 1900. Or you can say it was. Bet nobody could prove you wrong. I bet there's some literature in on file. People don't always know Woodmanse was on of the bigger manufactures of Windmills. Hung around for a long time. They also made windmills for Fairbanks-Morse.