ID on a windmill

Have a part you can't identify? Did your parts get mixed up in the shop? Curious if that chunk of metal is a part you should keep? Not sure what kind of windmill or tower you have? Post photos of the mystery object here for the community to help identify.
TdcJD

Re: ID on a windmill

Post by TdcJD »

I asked the seller for an up close picture of the gears like that. He hasn't responded yet, Im getting a feeling it's an old listing that was never taken down. Hopefully not though.

Windy, all your missing is painting a spiral on the fat side of the gear like on airplane propellers! Hahaha
windybob

Post by windybob »

Maybe on the next one. lol

Hey did you check the library here to see if there is any info you could use?
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
TdcJD

Post by TdcJD »

I did. The information is useful, just don't have good enough pics of the mill. The two pictures I posted are the two best ones on the listing
TdcJD

Post by TdcJD »

Well the woodmanse has not sold yet. What do y'all think would be a fair price for it? Assuming it's in decent condition that is, he said nothing is broken or otherwise damaged except for the bent fins. He's asking 500
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Does the bed plate and storm stay go with it that's important. Any tower? If you want it that's all that matters you can't put a price on happiness !!
TdcJD

Post by TdcJD »

No tower, no tail. Just what's in the picture. I can't tell if that's the bedplate or the storm stay at the bottom of the pipe
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

He has dropped the price a few times in his listing. I can’t recall reading if it had a tailbone/vane or not. The wheel can be fixed and only one blade looks torn, plus it looks like the tower cap might be on the ground and still on the mast pipe. Hit him with what you think is fair.

*Edit* ok on the no tailbone and vane, but I thought I recollect Wayne having one he might sell.
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

If you end up purchasing it, you might consider stopping by Steve Adam’s place in Granbury on your return. Let Steve look at it and see what parts he has on hand that could complete what you are missing.
TdcJD

Post by TdcJD »

Visiting Steve is actually the reason I'll be up there in the first place! Haha. Getting some parts for my F&W and transporting some tail vanes to a gentleman in wimberly. I offered the guy 400, he said 500 is the minimum he'll do. I'd have to dip into my lunch money a bit but if y'all thing that's not too much for it I'll go for it. Haha
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

It sounds like a doable price to me. That does look like a storm stay at the bottom. You can use a Dempster top tower casting and bearing races. They work great for about any mill. Pm me and we can talk about the vane. I'll see about digging it out of my stash so I can take some pictures.