worm gear windmills

......when you need to get in the weeds.
Kansas Rust Buzzard

worm gear windmills

Post by Kansas Rust Buzzard »

OK, we have all seen the FM WG mills in 8,10 and 12ft and the ultra rare Fairbury, but if someone told you they had a 6ft worm gear windmill what would it most likely be? Did Fairbury even make it in 6ft? My information only shows a 8 and 10 ft no 6. I have not went to look at it yet and the guy who has it is not a windmill man, he says the shaft the spyder hub is on is 7/8 so that sounds pretty small for a 8ft mill, maybe its a home made deal but I am just gathering information before I go look, thanks
windybob

Re: worm gear windmills

Post by windybob »

Ask for pictures.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Or patent numbers
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

I’d think a 6’ Fairbury in my mind.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Yes fairbury did make a 6ft and had many variations you'll just need pics or check it out. Good Luck!!!
Kansas Rust Buzzard

Post by Kansas Rust Buzzard »

The only parts list I can find is on that online site, it only shows larger ones, anyone have literature confirming Fairbury made a 6ft? You guys who know my area can understand about pictures, I am deep in Mennonite country, lol.
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

6’
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

According to the field guide they made a 6ft. It also says the model 7 was a worm gear.
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

Windcatcher530 Dan wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 11:35 am According to the field guide they made a 6ft. It also says the model 7 was a worm gear.
I saw a 10’ Fairbury model 7 last weekend at a place I purchased a Dempster vane from near Bryan, TX. The wheel was on it and it was mounted on a stub, but it was in need of a lot of work. Had a wooden piece as the brake and the bonnet needed to be replaced or worked on pretty seriously. I wish I had taken a few photos, but I didn’t.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Okay if you're gonna force me, here it is. lol Page 280 of the green book. The Fairbury #6 Worm-gear Windmill. 1921 Fairbury introduces the worm gear windmill, 'grit and water proof'. again in 1923 they come out with a folder talking about the worm gear mill. also a repair parts list. Folder in Nebraska state Historical Society, in Lincoln Neb, along with the Kregel Windmill Co. Papers.
the 1923 illustrated folder is at the Panhandle-Plains Historical Museum At Canyon, Texas.