X702 Spoke Brace

......when you need to get in the weeds.
RPinAZ

X702 Spoke Brace

Post by RPinAZ »

The X702 that I'm in the process of putting together had 2 spoke braces (X314) attached to the sail arm bundles. It looks like there should be a total of 6 however I don't see them in a lot of the diagrams or assembly instructions. So my question is do I need 4 more or do I need to throw 2 away?

Thanks
-RP
Minnemiller

Re: X702 Spoke Brace

Post by Minnemiller »

You need brackets tying each spoke to the inner wheel bands. I'm not sure what manufacture or age of mill you have and that makes a difference which clip style is used. If the spokes that thread into the hub don't have the brackets attached from the factory you'll need to pick up more. Total of 6 sets (12) if a timeable half bracket or 6 if its like a 602 clip.
Ron Stauffer

Post by Ron Stauffer »

The 314 and 314 1/2 were only used with open gear thru 602. A true 702 Chicago spoke the brace is integral with the spoke shaft. Separate part braces are used in repairs and aftermarket where the hub/spokes aren't timed. Take some pics of what you have if you want to have it picked apart...

Ron Stauffer
Montrose CO
RPinAZ

Post by RPinAZ »

Thanks for the responses. All the spokes have integral braces except two. On those two, it looks like the braces have broken off. As I mentioned, there are two of the separate braces. I should have done the math. Evidently the two separate braces were added at some point to repair the two that were broken off. As I am in a rebuilding mode, I think I'll just get two new spokes.

Thanks again
-RP
Ron Stauffer

Post by Ron Stauffer »

New spokes whether aermotor or after market
are going to have a different looking brace and not be timed. If your existing spokes are chicago era, you, you want to find two good vintage Chicago spokes

Ron Stauffer
RPinAZ

Post by RPinAZ »

Thanks Ron. I appreciate the info.

-RP
Ron Stauffer

Post by Ron Stauffer »

20230825_200556.jpg
Yours for the postage if you want. I can knock the braces off and just send them?

Ron
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Smax

Post by Smax »

If you buy two more spokes be mindful that there are differences in length between Chicago spokes and fiasa spokes on the x702s don't know why that is but have encountered it before