another one

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
windybob

Re: another one

Post by windybob »

Hope you find bearings for a decent price. last time I checked for 8 ft bearings, I almost threw up.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

Windy / Mike

I’ve found eBay a good source to shop for certain parts, such as bearings. Often, I’ve found new old stock for half or much less. Using the Parish for example, a single SealMaster 3-13 bearing lists like $235 from Motion Industries and it takes four of them. Looking at eBay currently, I see those same 3-13 for like $35/each. I looked at my prior orders and I paid between $20 to $35 for the four NOS.

On the Dempster with that old style brake band, you might consider putting a flat bar on the gearbox to keep the brake band fully seated in the hub. I saw Dan B do this and then I did the same for my Dempster #15. I think I have a photo of what I’m describing…I’ll have to look for it.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

a while back someone asked how to build a fixture to pour babbitt , several good answers were shared .
Today I am working on the Dempster #12 , the only really worn bearing is on one side of the crosshead .
this is how I made a fixture , very high tech , rubber mallet and vice grips to hold together :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

more photos
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

You are a " Rocket Scientist "
TdcJD

Post by TdcJD »

Is there anything that table of yours can't do?
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

Nice work.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

I have learned from the best of the windmill guys !
That bench is over 40 yrs old so it is well "seasoned "
windybob

Post by windybob »

On the modern 8 footers, both sides are full circle, and babbitt. 6 footers only have one side babbitt. On the full circle babbitt, I learned the hard way to use 3 wraps of paper on the guide rods. I have a case with both guide rods that I use for mandrels. My 1922 #12 ( 8 ft) has the half side babbitt also. Not sure what year they went to both sides with a full bore in the crosshead.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

So I'm estimating this mill head is 100 +/- years old ?

Anyone have an educated guess when Dempster redesigned the #12 crosshead design from 1/2 side to full bore guide ?