another one

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
mtblah

another one

Post by mtblah »

picked this up at the Trade Fair
any advice from the real windmillers for this novice ?
Mike B
New Braunfels TX
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Re: another one

Post by windybob »

Mike that's a pretty old Dempster. A common illness for Dempsters is the balls in the turntable get worn down, causing the head to turn on the tower without the turntable turning. Then it slowly starts cutting the neckpipe like an oversized tubing cutter. I don't have enough fingers to count how many times I've seen that.
How about a picture of the top of the case? all the way from the front to the back. This will tell whether it's one that's too old to do anything with.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

dissembly under way
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

gears look good,
windybob

Post by windybob »

Mike, if I had to guess, I would say that was a 1940's mill. My parts book had listings of changes thru the years, but the helpers took it. That has the older band brake, and the old old style nose with the double plate. When we encounter those, we put them on the pile and swap with a later case. Yours seems in good shape, even the tailpin holes look young. It must have fell over on the tower, and been taken down before a lot of wear took place. Several items from the late model #12 8 and 6 ft mills will help your project be complete.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Windy , you are right on , I was pleasently pleased with how little wear on the internal parts . the turntable appears to be the most serious repair point .
and glad lots of newer parts are available to fit older version . the babbit bearing under the large gears even looks good .
Mike B
New Braunfels TX
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Nice purchase Mike, she seems to be in pretty good condition. I've only seen one Dempster up in this area and was in bad shape !!!
windybob

Post by windybob »

Mike that is not a bearing on the pedastal. It is a spacer. The shaft does not turn. Surprise.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

SURPRISE , SURPRISE ! you learned me something different , who would of thunk that shaft is stationary ? big gears rotate .

Mike B
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Windy, you are wise beyond your years . took the fan shaft assmbly apart and low & beholdyou were right AGAIN .
appears the windmill fell over very early in its life and bent the shaft , see attached photo .
1.25 X 24" all standard stuff , my machinest love me , I mean my $
the accident must have happened very early in its life as there is vertually no wear except the turntable
Mike B
New Braunfels TX