another one

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
Smax

Re: another one

Post by Smax »

Looking good mike . I have been struggling with a 10 ft #12 that's seized up finally have the shaft turning with a cheater but cant get it to turn by hand.
TdcJD

Post by TdcJD »

Ha, I'm in the exact same spot on a 10ft #12 I have. But I can't get mine to turn at all yet. Just have it set in the corner filled with rust disolver
windybob

Post by windybob »

A common issue freezing up Dempsters is the crosshead pin. I cut them between the arm and yoke. They move easier after that.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Have been working on cleaning the furling / brake parts on the Dempster #12 , under the rust seems to be some shade of red , are early Dempsters red ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Yes, red. Hey on that brake rod, at the end where the threads are, there is a nut and a flat piece of metal the nut is against. They need to be welded, and the threads free. That's the brake adjuster.
windybob

Post by windybob »

here Mike. I usually chase the threads to clean them up. Then all you do is pull either cotter pin, and turn the rod (or other end) to adjust. We carry good ones on the truck and change when froze up, or un-adjustable.

dempster A ed.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Will do before paint , thanks for the heads up onfo .
Windy , some day you need to teach me how to add the arrow or circle or whatever to the photos , pls
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Picked up a few 60 degree legs for the Dempster tower , do you think these are salvageable ? .
being new to windmillsI could use your expert opinon
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

If I was doing it they wouldn't be. The thing about angle iron, I've found unlike blades that will pop back into shape, angle iron doesn't. I straightened angle iron with my 20 ton press, boy is it a lot of work.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

I agree with Wayne i did it one time and won't do it again. Now smaller angle like girts i still straighten. Just my opinion!!