Need something? Post your request here.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Re: Elgin Snow

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Darrin nice, the ole Bell Hub !!
Minnemiller

Post by Minnemiller »

I hope so Bob. That would at least give hope for one to be discovered someday. To the extent of my knowledge there are none out there.
Windcatcher530 Dan

I'm wondering if Gilbert Snow who worked for Elgin patented the Snow mill. Also I'm thinking he was related to Thomas Snow who was president of Challenge who also made the Snow mill. From what I read challenge started selling the Snow mill after Elgin stopped selling it as the Snow Jr.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Good point. You never know how these things evolved.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
rockislandnut

Post by rockislandnut »

Gilbert Snow is the name on the patent and it is assigned to The Elgin Wind and Power Company. There have been several discussions about weather the companies in the area shared ideas. Several of them had parts that looked the same between companies.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Darrin thanks for this information, much appreciated. Aaron and I were discussing early Elgin and patents. Aaron was looking for info on the mogel power mill.Nichols also had some early patents Elgin used.I wonder if my Challenge Snow was a Gilbert Snow patent.
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

I recollect seeing a chain driven windmill at the American Windmill Museum for which I think was an Elgin. I looked through my photos and I failed to take photos of it.
Minnemiller

Post by Minnemiller »

You're thinking of the Parish fabricated mill. There are no known surviving Elgin Snow mills.

Along with the Elgin number 1, the Junior Snow and Wonder Power- the Snow is one of the few Elgin Mills yet to be discovered.
Last edited by Minnemiller on Thu Sep 21, 2023 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Minnemiller

Post by Minnemiller »

Found a couple more images of the Snow in my files.
Snow.jpeg
Snow parts list.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

Minnemiller wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:48 pm You're thinking of the Parish fabricated mill. There are no known surviving Elgin Snow mills.

Along with the Elgin number 1, the Junior Snow and Wonder Power- the Snow is one of the few Elgin Mills yet to be discovered.
I own a Parish, but the one I was thinking of was chain driven and much older. Now, I absolutely could be wrong on it being an Elgin.

From memory, upon entering the American Windmill museum, it was located immediately to the left about 3/4 down the wall that you enter in from the parking lot.