The Trip Home

RPinAZ

The Trip Home

Post by RPinAZ »

Leaving Pleasanton, we pretty much did all back roads back home. Pleasanton to Hondo to Leaky (home of the Leaky Eagles - we're still chuckling about that one), to Eldorado, to Iraan to Monahans and then off to New Mexico. Spent the night in Carlsbad, then to Artesia, Alamagordo, Las Cruces, Silver City and then US 70 through AZ and back home. We decided to count windmills along the way. There were rules - the tower had to have at least a motor on it to count. Here's the tally by state: Texas - 97, New Mexico - 56, Arizona - 1 (it got dark).

-RP
mtblah

Re: The Trip Home

Post by mtblah »

You definatly made a road trip out of the return home !
RPinAZ

Post by RPinAZ »

Yes indeed. I used to hate traveling through Texas. My parents home was in Pensacola so we made several trips there from Phoenix. Once I retired and had more time we started going the back roads and what I found is that it wasn't Texas that was the problem, it was I-10. I love going through Texas now. We've done the Marfa to Langtry to Del Rio to Houston (on US 90) route, US 380 from outside Texarkana across to Plains, Houston to Friedricksburg to Menard to Iraan, Houston to Kileen to San Angelo to Midland, Lubbock to Abilene to Waco to College Station, and several more. There's lots of cool stuff on the back roads.
-RP
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Yup , you have been in Marfa !
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

I agree about the back roads. That's how I travel. Stay off the interstates if possible. Going to Wyoming Sunday the 17th we got in an Indian Motorcycle Rally. They were riding to Colorado Springs. We picked them up at Lamar. They were strung out on 287 going about 50 miles an hour, It was exciting tying to get around one at a time. Thank goodness they weren't riding in a big group. Don't know I would want to ride a motorcycle on a major two lane highway at 50 MPH with all the trucks.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Wayne , now there is something new we did not know about you ? Not only do you collect windmills . What Indian do you ride ?