bent mastpipe neck

......when you need to get in the weeds.
Minnemiller

Re: bent mastpipe neck

Post by Minnemiller »

Joe if you have a calipers, check the diameter of the mast pipe by the oil cup. If its significantly smaller than the top (unworn area) it may need replacement anyways. I haven't seen any published numbers on how small is too small for an A702 but I can measure some I set aside as too worn to reuse. I'd be curious to hear if the other guys on here have a measurement they use to judge. I suspect most just go by a visual of "that looks like its worn pretty bad"...
joe herman

Post by joe herman »

I measured the pipe as suggested. Top and bottom is 1.355 inches. Middle about 1.375. I have another pipe
from a four poster and it measured in at 1.390 I don't know what a new pipe measures. To me the pipe does not
look that worn. It was well lubed even after lying hub down on the ground. I noticed a crack from freezing.
The bonnet was tightly secured. The hub is seized from lying face down for who knows how long.
I would use the four poster but the tower that I picked up is a 3 legger so need to get the pipe straightened.
Not gong to need it until next spring.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Joe the last 602 i bought same thing it had been laying Hub down for years and the Hub was rusted to the snout on the outside. It took quite a bit to get it loose. with it Hub down pour some diesel fuel in the area between the Hub and casing and also in the gear box. Let it soak and soak until your ready to work on it. DON'T use heat on the Hub you might melt the Babbitt. Just steady pressure turning the Hub. " Did you ever get your power mill going " ?
joe herman

Post by joe herman »

Dan I will not need this head as have another that has good babbitt. Needed this 3 leg tower for that.
I did not get much done on the power mill, sails and wheel arms straightened. Have to buy heavy rivets
for the sails a do not want to use bolts and nuts.
My wife is 91 and she takes up a lot of my time looking after her needs so that puts a damper working
on my own stuff. Living on an acreage also is a lot more work. We also had a very hot summer and I can't take the heat.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Well it's good to know that your still finding time to work on your windmills besides everything else on your plate. Keep plugging and keep us posted, thanks Joe !!
Minnemiller

Post by Minnemiller »

Joe, those dimensions don't sound too bad. I've retired some to shop stands that have a lot more wear than that.