General Questions before we get started

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
JBR

General Questions before we get started

Post by JBR »

Hello all. A friend of mine has a damaged vintage windmill setup on his property that we are considering working on. Blade damage of course, grear box missing, etc. we are considering removing the blade assembly and either cosmetically restore it or replace, then phase 2 or 3 would be the mechanics of it. Pictures attached. We don’t know size, brand, or much else yet.
Yes, we are nuts, but really fascinated with doing this. Thanks!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Re: General Questions before we get started

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

I believe what you have is a Aermoter tower and a beat up Aermoter wheel.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

What happened to the head? Wonder if someone took the head off and left what was left of the wheel. Don't know I've ever seen a wind storm disconnect a wheel, leave it and take the head.
JBR

Post by JBR »

Great questions! It was damaged in the 60s. Trying to find out more info as we get deeper into it. More info to follow, appreciate all your comments!
windybob

Post by windybob »

Sure, that can be done. First thing is to mark a leg to an anchor, and take the whole thing down. Then you can transport it or work on it there. Most of that stuff is malleable, so it can be straightned. Then you can aquire a head, and get things back together. It will take a while, but a great learning experience, and nice to see when it's done. If the well under it is good, then you have water for nuthin', and the chicks for free. LOL
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

interesting project