new in Canada

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
jerryd

Re: new in Canada

Post by jerryd »

Thanks again,
Here is how I got my measures for radius. Feel free to correct me. I have a 12 3/4 measure from inside first clip to hub . 19 to hub centre and 37 1/8 to hub centre from outside of clips. I think bands were on outside of clips but I forgot to take a pic
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Peter vk

Post by Peter vk »

The outer bands go on the inside of the spoke and the inner ones go on the outside, see picture.

IMG_2404.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ron Stauffer

Post by Ron Stauffer »

I measured an inner band of an aermotor and it is very close 19 and 7/8. That is measured from the center of the big hole to the center of the big hole.on the band. You can measure your inner band the same way.and if it is close you are good.

Ron
joe herman

Post by joe herman »

I recently acquired a Beatty Pumper at an on line auction. The above information will come in handy down the road when i will try
and get my mill up and running.
My mill had only one wheel arm that was attached to two wheel sections. That will be my pattern when making the other 5.
The hub has only two holes with useable threads. The other four have existing rusted metal from rusted out arms.
What would be the best method to use to clean up these holes? I have the proper size pipe die to clean up the threads but don't
want to do any damage beforehand.
Peter have you run into this situation in your Beatty rebuilds?
Thanks Joe
jerryd

Post by jerryd »

Joe
been there
heat soak chip
Probably 3 hours over a week on this one and
Cleaned and chased threads
jerry
Peter vk

Post by Peter vk »

joe herman wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:53 pm I recently acquired a Beatty Pumper at an on line auction. The above information will come in handy down the road when i will try
and get my mill up and running.
My mill had only one wheel arm that was attached to two wheel sections. That will be my pattern when making the other 5.
The hub has only two holes with useable threads. The other four have existing rusted metal from rusted out arms.
What would be the best method to use to clean up these holes? I have the proper size pipe die to clean up the threads but don't
want to do any damage beforehand.
Peter have you run into this situation in your Beatty rebuilds?
Thanks Joe
Hi Joe, I haven't had any that bad. Most of the time you just have to heat where the thread is to get the spoke out. If there are parts still stuck in the hub, I would go in with the torch and cut a swath out and try not to ruin the thread. Check the hub for cracks, a lot of them are cracked because water gets in between and freezes.
Peter
joe herman

Post by joe herman »

Thanks Peter. There is nothing left of the four wheel spokes in the holes. Just about maybe 1/4 to 3/8 inch of the threaded portion. I was
thinking of drilling through with a slightly smaller drill bit and rethreading with the right size pipe tap. The mill was tied to a 7 foot pallet
with rebar wire and was located 265 kms from me. Did not want to travel that far twice. I knew that there was only one spoke and that some
of tower legs were damaged but from the auction photos could not determine to what extent. The vane was in perfect condition with clear
lettering . Sails perfect shape no bullet holes. Not going to do anything until spring.
There are no cracks in the hub. The hood was on tight and the inners show very little wear.
Joe
Peter vk

Post by Peter vk »

Joe, yup drilling them out should work too. That's good that the rest is in good shape. Is it an 8 footer? Beatty also made a 10 footer but I have never actually seen one other then in the catalogue.
joe herman

Post by joe herman »

Yes Peter it is an 8 footer. The tower is missing one leg and the other can not be used. The fact that everything was piled up on the pallet was
covering the missing pieces. I have a Dempster 12 tower that I can use. Just cut the top portion off and bolt the little stub Beatty in place.
I am going to contact Mike Hage in Saskatchewan to see if he can help me out with what I need.
If not making the spokes is doable. Will a conduit bender be strong enough to bend the 3/4 inch pipe? Might have to use heat.
Have you made any of these spokes?
Joe
Ron Stauffer

Post by Ron Stauffer »

The fact that an aermotor wheel will bolt right on has my interest piqued.

Jerry since yours is disassembled, could you measure the outside diameter of both large and small gears?

Peter, since yours is assembled, could you provide the actual long stroke length?

I am wondering how close these will be to aermotors back gearing of 3.29 and stroke length of 7.25"?

So are the wheel arms standard nominal S40 pipe? With NPT threading? There appears to be no stop on the wheel arm? The hole in the hub is open whole way through but I can't tell if it's threaded the entire length? So is a straight thread in the hub or a taper thread that it tightens? There is a timing to the wheel arm. So how do you know that you are "there"? Do you get a wheel under tension like aermotor? So are vice grips and a line punch needed for assembly? Is the spring loaded stop at each end of the buffer travel make it more durable than aer? The actual "pull in design" doesnt seem to have the same level of engineering to it

I am expecting Peter to have all these answers... Eh

Ron