new in Canada

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
jerryd

new in Canada

Post by jerryd »

hello new to the forum
I hope to be helped to restore a Beatty windmill that was taken down carelessly at a neighbours. This is my first windmill repair so I will need your help. I have years of farm machinery repairing experience and have tools. I have restored a number of motorcycles so I am confident I can do the work.
Looking forward to the project
jerry
Windcatcher530 Dan

Re: new in Canada

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

There's a guy Peter from Canada on the forum who's restored many mills I'm sure he can help you.
jerryd

Post by jerryd »

Thankyou
I just saw his site
PaulV
Site Admin

Post by PaulV »

Welcome Jerry! We're here to help. Post a few pics of your mill.
PaulV
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

Welcome to the forum
jerryd

Post by jerryd »

Ok
Here is where I am at. Both gearboxes are pretty much disassembled. The old one has a few broken pieces . I have them. Some of the parts are well worn. the newer box is stuck on tower stub and can only wiggle a quarter turn.
the newer model is apart. Parts not cleaned yet. The shaft is bent guesstimated with a square 1/2 inch right at front of bearing, close to hub.
Old head spokes are bent back. Shall I attempt to straighten with heat without removing? One broken spoke in the hub.
the newer gearbox parts are in not bad shape.
.so now to finish cleaning and assessing. How to straighten shaft ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Jerry , you have things looking good , great start , find a GOOD welder who can weld cast iron and become best friends with that person , the really good welders can do majic with a "stick"
Peter vk

Post by Peter vk »

Heat the spokes where they thred in the hub and they should come loose. Also check the hub for cracks, water gets in between there and freezes and cracks the hub. If the main shaft is bent I wouldn't reuse it, you don't want it to brake and the wheel fall off.
Peter
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Looks good so far Jerry. I would remove the wheel arms from Hub to straighten. Also you might want to consider having a new shaft made instead of trying to straighten.
jerryd

Post by jerryd »

Thanks all. I have a busy week or so coming up so not sure how much will be done. No new shaft available? Will the earlier hub and shaft work/ and how to get it out are questions on my mind right now Won't be a fast project but will be back
Have some motorcycle work to do and reno on my sons house.
A little off topic. Here are some recent bike builds. Just finished the 67 BSA